What's new

R7800 - Best Config for Gaming/Low Ping

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Warlord1981

Regular Contributor
Hello everyone, I am using latest Voxel's firmware (1.0.2.88SF) and Kamoj Addon on my R7800. Can you please advise some tips for lowest possible ping in Games (particularly in FIFA22) ?

I currently have QoS disabled.

A wired connection directly from the router to an Intel NIC on a current level hardware computer on a clean install of Windows 11.

In addition to an FTTH ISP connection of 350Mbps up/down symmetrical speeds or better. (Note, the speeds are not what are important, but at that level, and with a symmetrical up/down connection, you'll have the best equipment on the ISP side to give you a chance to get the best performance possible).

A wired connection directly from the router to an Intel NIC on a current level hardware computer on a clean install of Windows 11.

In addition to an FTTH ISP connection of 350Mbps up/down symmetrical speeds or better. (Note, the speeds are not what are important, but at that level, and with a symmetrical up/down connection, you'll have the best equipment on the ISP side to give you a chance to get the best performance possible).
Thank you, however I meant tips for R7800 config. :)

My NIC is Realtek 2.5GbE and my ISP is cable 300 down / 50 up and I am located in Cyprus, Europe.

With a wired connection, it almost doesn't matter how you set up the R7800.

Don't use QoS if you don't have to. Don't enable any features that turn off HW acceleration. Use the defaults (as set after a full reset to factory defaults) and only change what is necessary to get your router stable and compatible with all your devices.

@Voxel's firmware along with @kamoj's addon is suggested for the best performance and security of your router today.

(Hmmm, I thought Cyprus was in Greece, not Europe)?

You should also test your bufferbloat score. Some modems tend to produce bad bufferbloat scores due to large buffer inside the modems. If you get a high score, it's most likely your modem may be the cause instead of the R7800. If this is the case, you can try getting a newer model from your ISP or, if they allow it, buy a new modem and use that one instead of the ISP's one.

(Hmmm, I thought Cyprus was in Greece, not Europe)?

Greece is part of the European Union and lies in Europe officially ;)

Greece is a state of mind all to itself.

Thank you all for your answer guys and sorry for my late response!

PS. Cyprus is a different country, even though spoken language and national anthem is same as Greece :)

I use the official openwrt with R7800, low throughput of 5GHz, but works great in gaming.

I think the official Netgear firmware will be better.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!