What's new

R7800 dynamic DNS update fails

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

camaro322hp

Occasional Visitor
Last night, I noticed my IP address changed, but all my applications pointing to my Dyn DNS address were not working. I went to the no-ip site to check, and sure enough, my IP address there had not changed (I am using the netgear supplied account - xxxxxx.mynetgear.com). I checked on my R7800 management page, and when I click "show status" on the Dynamic DNS page, it displays the following error message:

Update failed for unknown reason. Will try again later.

I am on R7800 version 1.0.2.46. I know that Dyn DNS updating did work in this version, as I had a power outage a couple weeks ago, and when the power came back, I had a new IP address, and the no-ip record was properly updated. That was also on 1.0.2.46.

I just now tried rebooting the router, but I am still getting the error message above.

Anyone else having issues with this, or is it just me?

FYI - in case anyone else comes across this - to get it working, I had to switch the service provider to no-ip.com instead of netgear. Using no-ip.com but still signing in with my xxxxx.mynetgear.com account seems to work. I couldn't get it to work at all using NETGEAR as the service provider. Not sure if there are any downsides to this, but I guess I'll find out. Wonder why NETGEAR service provider stopped working for me....

Didn't work for me. Clicking status still gives "Update failed at 10:13AM,07/06/2018 The service provider is not reachable." response. Netgear continues their downward spiral.

I'm new here but I was trying to find out is there a way to use a different DNS service provider other than the 3 from the dropdown?
I have the www. free dns. afraid. org but I have not found a way to change or select my own provider. I just updated to Voxel V1.0.2.50SF as Kamoj suggested to me a few days ago.

I'm new here but I was trying to find out is there a way to use a different DNS service provider other than the 3 from the dropdown?
I have the www. free dns. afraid. org but I have not found a way to change or select my own provider. I just updated to Voxel V1.0.2.50SF as Kamoj suggested to me a few days ago.
Nope, with crapgear it’s take it or leave it. You’ll need to install a custom firmware to get this functionality.

For me, selecting "NETGEAR" DDNS will fail for me too.
The solution for me is to register an no-ip.com account and add mynetgear.com hostname.

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

i had another power outage a few days ago, and when it came back, the NO-IP provider wouldn't work. so just for grins, i switched back to NETGEAR provider, and wouldn't you know it, it worked. i think it's safe to say that the DDNS implementation is a mess. at least it partially works some of the time..... this router has been great for the most part, but the little software bugs like this really drive me crazy and leave me with a bad impression of Netgear.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!