What's new

R7800 high load

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ducdeptrai1234

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
First, thanks @Voxel for giving me the advice to use the new top GUI, it is fantastic to have the real-time monitor. I also wonder why my R7800 got so much load (>4)? Is this normal for R7800 or is it a bug in the firmware? Thank you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 2.40.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 2.40.22 PM.png
    392 KB · Views: 201
Mine says 4 also. If I do a vmstat..its 96% idle.
I dont recall it always showing 4 but it's wrong.

By curiosity, just now:
Code:
root@HERMES:~$ vmstat
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ----cpu----
 r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in   cs us sy id wa
 0  0      0 269128  17248  52000    0    0     0     0   88  118  0  2 98  0
R7800, Voxel, Aegis.

right...vmstat amd debug page show the cpu quite idle. Not what is up with top and its load
calculation.

Even top for me is good:
Code:
Mem: 237888K used, 245636K free, 6436K shrd, 9524K buff, 80004K cached
CPU:  0.0% usr  0.8% sys  0.0% nic 98.2% idle  0.0% io  0.2% irq  0.7% sirq
Load average: 4.03 4.05 4.05 1/143 17110

There is a bug in kernel 3.4.x. This "issue" should be just ignored. Bug is not that CPU is loaded all the time (high CPU load) but bug in calculations of load average values. Rightly mentioned by @R. Gerrits:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...1-0-2-82-1sf-v-1-0-2-82-2sf.69449/post-666849

Try to google "kernel 3.4 high load average".

Your R7800 CPU is fine, do not worry. No overload, no overheat, and it is idle most of time.

P.S.
Unfortunately is is very problematic for me to fix this calculation of CPU load. Too many changes are required. Not compatible.

Voxel.

Last edited:
Hi,
First, thanks @Voxel for giving me the advice to use the new top GUI, it is fantastic to have the real-time monitor. I also wonder why my R7800 got so much load (>4)? Is this normal for R7800 or is it a bug in the firmware? Thank you.
How can I get formatting as on the picture

For R7800 when I run
/usr/bin/top-procps-ng

I've got
root@R7800:/$ /usr/bin/top-procps-ng
TERM environment variable not set.

Seems your telnet/ssh client is not very advanced. If you enter from Windows try to use putty (it supports both ssh and telnet) and it sets proper terminal type (TERM environment variable).

For test try to set TERM manually, e.g. as 'ansi':

Code:
export TERM=ansi
/usr/bin/top-procps-ng

Voxel.

Thanks @Voxel
Mine was set to xterm but changing to linux gives the same message. Always used it set to xterm and didn't notice any issues connecting to over 10 different OpenWRT routers.
'xterm' is OK as well... Maybe your saved putty session for R7800 does not have this terminal-type string? Or you should renew your putty...

Putty just inform the system that it is 'linux' or 'xterm' or 'ansi' or 'vt100'. And sets the TERM environment variable. Do you use ssh or telnet? IMO it is much better to use ssh access to your router. With putty.

Voxel.

@Voxel Thanks.
I've used telnet for the last weeks cause I just didn't have enough time to configure ssh access. Now I've set up ssh and logged in and it's a different story. I've always used ssh tunneling to access routers and internal LAN network devices. Is the ssh configuration going to survive a firmware upgrade.
Screenshot (205).png

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!