What's new

R7800 Still a good router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

P.S.
Go ahead with your project. It could be re-used for ORBI users as well.

Voxel.
Sure, I believe it requires only little work.
One important thing is the availability of iprange, that is not mandatory for aegis, but strongly recommended.
I believe anyone with Entware can already install it, but when you have time, could you send me the compiled ipk for Orbi like you did for R7800 and R9000?

@Voxel are you seriously considering the RAX120 as your next project?

A friend owns one and I've been impressed with it. Probably a future owner here, but more so with your f/w.

EDIT: I see these selling on EBAY for less than $300, way better than the $500 retail price!

Last edited:
OK. A bit later. There is a problem with ORBI that it has overlay partition in RAM and there is not "opkg" because of this. Let me think a bit.

Regards @HELLO_wORLD

Voxel.
No rush @Voxel

Aegis can work without iprange, and if someone wants it, they can install Entware, this is not very hard to install.

Regards

No rush @Voxel

Aegis can work without iprange, and if someone wants it, they can install Entware, this is not very hard to install.

I have been monitoring the progress of Aegis and I have an Orbi with Voxel, but I have been nervous to install it. I installed a couple of scripts that weren’t specific for NG and Orbi and they haven’t worked. I could beta test for you, if you have a few simple steps you can recommend. I also haveUSB attached and can install any entware packages

The RAX50 performs well for networking, but the firmware behaves as if it was not designed properly for a triple core SOC. Virtually all of the work is handles by 2 of the cores, with only a few small processes running on the 3rd core, thus you can end up with issues such as the VPN server tanking the USB storage performance because for some reason, both use the first core, along with the QOS.

If not using multiple of the value add features at the same time, the router can maintain over 100MB/s on both the read and write speed to the USB storage.
The resource management is just poor. with the 3rd core remaining largely unused.

Overall it is a good router, but the firmware is holding it back from being even better.

I have been monitoring the progress of Aegis and I have an Orbi with Voxel, but I have been nervous to install it. I installed a couple of scripts that weren’t specific for NG and Orbi and they haven’t worked. I could beta test for you, if you have a few simple steps you can recommend. I also haveUSB attached and can install any entware packages
Thank you, that would be great to see how it works on Orbi.
@Voxel said it should work with no or little work.

Worst case, it won’t break your router, aegis will either work or not, and it can be easily disabled or removed totally.
I designed it so that it does not leave mess everywhere on the internal disk or the nvram. All goes in a specific folder, in your case it would be all on the USB drive. Only one soft link would be made on the internal memory (and it can be removed with one simple command).
When set, aegis would create the file /opt/firewall-start.sh (if not existing), but it is automatically removed (or cleared from aegis code) when unset.

To install, you can follow the installation process in the readme: https://github.com/bolemo/aegis/blob/master/README.md
And install on the USB drive. You have Entware, so install will offer to install package iprange (recommended).

I would not install the web companion yet, and just see if default install works with commands.
From there we will see if it needs some tweaks or not to have it running on Orbi.
If all is ok, you can then install the web companion and check it is working fine.

At anytime, use aegis unset to disable aegis and clear your system from it, and if you want to remove totally, I will tell you how to (simple).

Today is a busy day at work, not sure I’ll get to it, but I’ll try tomorrow at the latest and let you know. I’ll turn logging on and monitor for a bit
Sure, do it when it is convenient of course. No pressure.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!