What's new

R7800 USB 3.0 write/read performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cordezz

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I am runnning Voxels V1.0.2.49SF on my R7800 and did some USB 3.0 performance tests.

My PC is connected via ethernet with the router which has two HDDs connected, one with EXT4 and one with NTFS.
When I transfer one large file from the PC to the routers HDDs via FTP the datarate reaches only about 30 MB/s, no matter if I use the EXT4 or NTFS HDD.
The same transfer via windows share to the router reaches about 40MB/s.

Shouldn't the write speed reaches about 55MB/s ( https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...x4s-smart-wifi-gaming-router-reviewed?start=1 )?
Perhaps someone could verify my results on anothre R7800...

The read speed is excellent with about 100-110MB/s :)

I do not use the USB 3.0 ports, I use the eSATA port for my external HD.

Have you tried using the eSATA port on the R7800? My transfer rates are much better than you are listing with eSATA...

What is the specs on the HDD your using in the USB case? Speeds and such? There a 10K speed drive handy to test with by chance?
What was the spec drive the SNB used?

For me, the write speeds with the latest update is about 60-70MB/s for the write speeds. Read speeds fluctuate around 82-92MB/s. Overall these speeds with Voxel's firmware is significantly better than the stock netgear firmware. Though at times, the speeds will slow to around 40MB/s for a while or until I restart, but it takes a long time for this issue to happen, and has not really been a bother to me.

I am using a 2TB WD green drive connected via eSATA at the moment. I also keep the media server off since it is fer more convenient to map the network drive and access the files directly than it is to fumble with the DLNA.

Unfortunately I have no eSATA device for testing.
The media server or entware isn't the problem, it does not make any difference if I switch it on or off.
My R7800 is running in access point mode. But since everything else is fine, I don't want to hard reset it and test different configurations/FW-versions.

I just wonder why the R7800 test on SNB with stock Netgear FW two years ago performed better than my device with optimized Voxels FW.

Router:
R7800 / Voxel FW R7800-V1.0.2.75.2SF​
Disk:
SSD Sata III 120 Gb (PNY SSD7CS900-120-PB)
Connected through USB3 with SATA TO USB 3.0 adapter (Sabrent)
Formatted ext4​
Test:
Code:
root@HERMES:/tmp/mnt/sda1$ time dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/mnt/sda1/tempfile bs=1M count=1024     
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
real    0m 7.03s
user    0m 0.01s
sys     0m 5.36s
root@HERMES:/tmp/mnt/sda1$ /sbin/sysctl -w vm.drop_caches=3
vm.drop_caches = 3
root@HERMES:/tmp/mnt/sda1$ time dd if=tempfile of=/dev/null bs=1M count=1024
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
real    0m 5.66s
user    0m 0.01s
sys     0m 1.92s
Calculated Write Speed: 145 Mb/s
Calculated Read Speed: 180 Mb/s

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!