What's new

R7800, Voxel and iOS "weak security"?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wigster

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have the R7800 running with Voxel's V1.0.2.97SF.

I've just noticed that my iPhones (one iOS 16, other on 15.7) are reporting that my 5.0 GHz network has "weak security", where it is explained that I am using WPA/WPA2 (TKIP). This is not the case for the 2.4 GHz network. In case it's relevant, my 5.0 Ghz network is running on channel 149.

In the router's settings I have the WPA2-PSK [AES] option selected for both radios, so TKIP should not be on.

On my Windows machine connected to the same 5.0 GHz network WIFi analyzer says that my Authentication is RSNA-PSK (WPA2) and Security is AES-CCMP, so this sounds like it's fine.

Is this a known misdiagnosis of iOS? Or could there be some bug in the settings, not setting the security properly. Not sure what I can use here to check (my bare metal linux machines don't have wifi, but I can use wsl in windows in principle). I have to say I only noticed this notification today and the setup has been unchanged for months if not years, apart from firmware updates, so it seems like it's new.

Are you sure the iOS is complaining about not having random MAC turned on?

FWIW: I just checked both of my (V1.0.2.97SF) R7800 5Ghz networks (configured like yours) with a few ios16 devices and none of them report "weak security".

FWIW: I just checked both of my (V1.0.2.97SF) R7800 5Ghz networks (configured like yours) with a few ios16 devices and none of them report "weak security".
Same here, no such message on my iOS16 devices on both 2.4 and 5GHz with wifi security option set to WPA2-PSK [AES]. I only see a privacy warning because I've turned off private wi-fi address on my devices.

Maybe try deleting and re-adding the wifi network to your iPhones.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!