What's new

[R7800] Will no longer save settings after reboot.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There are at least 4 ways to interpret the different results from:
artmtd -r protime | strings

Example 1:
protime: => "Really Old" device. This is produced long time ago before "protime" was introduced

Example 2:
protime:20180718 or earlier => "Old" device
R9000:
protime:20170501 or earlier => "Old" device

Example 3:
protime:20180719 or later => "New" device
R9000:
protime:20170502 or later => "New" device

Example 4:
Usage => This may indicate it's a refurbished device.

So what is your output?

Of course, but that doesn't answer my question. To rephrase it, what distinguishes a "New" device from an "Old" one?

Last edited:
So, I have experimented, and I have confusing results...
Uninstalled Kamoj Addon, reboot... no factory reset!
I first decided to install the previous Voxel FW that I used (74.4SF).
Flashing went ok, rebooted and... no factory reset!
Was able to backup from web GUI, no authentication error in the backup cfg file.
Rebooted several times, all ok.
Then I installed latest Kamoj 5.1b8, reboot -> factory reset!??
Telnet, login, nvram restore, set all config but no internet... reboot... no factory reset!

Meanwhile, I heard from NG, and they are ok for RMA, either standard for free or swap for EUR 25. Did not answer yet.

Now I am confused... either the hardware nvram is defective and is working randomly (and about to permanently give up), either there is something in my setup doing that. Apparently, there is no report (except one other person) of a problem with latest Voxel, and no report of this problem with Kamoj latest betas.

I will try, either later today or tomorrow to remove Kamoj addon, reboot, then install latest Voxel, reboot, reinstall latest Kamoj, reboot...

At least, I have now the ok for RMA. I need to make sure my problem is fully hardware related before proceeding.

What happens if you do a complete re-load of Voxels FW on your router.
Factory reset and setup from scratch.
Install and configure Kamoj's add on.
Then test the router out.

That is the idea. I will try tomorrow morning, because I can’t experiment later in the day when family is up and using internet.

What happens if you do a complete re-load of Voxels FW on your router.
Factory reset and setup from scratch.
Install and configure Kamoj's add on.
Then test the router out.

There are at least 4 ways to interpret the different results from:
artmtd -r protime

So what is your output?

Thanks Kamoj. My R7800 was purchased in July 2019 from Amazon, not a refurb. The protime option seems to be recognized but returns unprintable characters FF FF FF FF (in hex).

there is no report (except one other person) of a problem with latest Voxel
As I wrote, I've flashed three my R7800. They are still working.

I am very accurate with use of internal flash memory in my firmware. Practically it is not used for regular writing. Even dnscrypt-proxy-2 is using /tmp (i.e. RAM) for downloading its temporary files.

P.S.
And I've added these disabling ReadyCLOUD, hipplay as an additional reason to avoid write to internal flash. Use of traffic meter BTW means regular write to internal flash...

Voxel.

Thanks Voxel.

And I've added these disabling ReadyCLOUD, hipplay as an additional reason to avoid write to internal flash.

Hipplay? I don't see that in the readme.

Use of traffic meter BTW means regular write to internal flash...

Wow, that's interesting. Not a good idea to leave it enabled for long periods of time then. Is it possible to redirect that data to /tmp?

Thanks Kamoj. In the addon code, I see that it is just managing the nokwilt option in nvram (as documented in Voxel's readme).

BTW, I like that the code includes forum links. Nice!

@nsx just a few words of thanks for your contributions. I know the 'stars' are the ones we see daily on these forums, but the ones behind the scenes are every bit as important too. Stay safe. :)

So...
Installed latest Voxel FW -> ok
Did a `nvram default; reboot`
Did a manual setup
Did a reboot -> ok
However, suddenly, no internet, checked settings and internet settings was zeroed (0.0.0.0). Changed it back and -> factory reset!

So the nvram is definitely instable. Confirmed RMA with NG. Should receive new one next week then return defective one.

Spent all morning on this... Tweaked the usb autorun script to check and install ssh certs, my firewall script (ipset block table), and a nvram restore from a backup file at early stages of startup (thanks to @kamoj )

Thanks also to @Voxel for the info on how the ram/sd works on this router. It makes sense then that traffic meter was reporting zeros and was executing net-wall and dns-hijack every 3 seconds.

Hi all,

First i just want to say i am not tech person so i don't know much about router stuff. After the last 2-3 Voxel firmwares, i reported that my ip cams at home stop working or showing on my phone as well as on my browsers randomly through out the day. Usually the cameras will show up instantly when i am on the same network. Port forwarding and everything else are the same.

So last week or so, other owners and I started having problem with our routers. The routers reset themselves to manufacture setting and they couldn't save the setting after reboot. My warranty only has 1 month left so i decided to get the RMA. It was a pain for me to get to the end of this due to the busy phone line support.
Finally, I received my replacement and tried to set it up using Netgear firmware (1.0.2.68). No 3rd party firmware yet. I decided not to restore my setting from the bad router. I manually re entered all the information again (Wifi, port forwarding, etc).
Surprising, everything is working again and my cameras connect instantly like they did before. The network runs smoothly (speedtest shows the same speed with the old router). However, internally the network is much better. NAS shows up faster. Files copy also a little bit faster. Additionally, my other set of cameras - Arlo connects faster (8 cameras). The recorded videos also call up faster.

In conclusion, I honestly don't know what to say about what have caused the problems. My simple thought about all these things is "The performance of the router is downgraded overtime due to the additional features or modification in the 3rd party firmware. It could be bad overtime by the manufacture firmware as well but who knows". For now, the new router is working great.

Thank you, this is just my thought.

P.S: my replacement is brand new. Plastic wraps in original box. It even came with power adapter, Cat6 cable, and instruction, manual, the antennas are sealed in the plastic as well. The antennas ports have plastic caps to cover them.

Last edited:
Clearly, some NG routers are suffering a poor sd nvram memory as several people (using official or alternative FW) are experiencing this problem.

Many people using alternative FW for years have no problems.
Unfortunately, that was not your case and mine.

As @Voxel pointed, it seems important to prevent as much as possible to write on sd card.

I will get an eSata drive and have as many things as possible running from it. Right now, I use a USB 2 thumb drive, and I use my scripts from internal drive as USB 2 is probably too slow.

Hi all,

First i just want to say i am not tech person so i don't know much about router stuff. After the last 2-3 Voxel firmwares, i reported that my ip cams at home stop working or showing on my phone as well as on my browsers randomly through out the day. Usually the cameras will show up instantly when i am on the same network. Port forwarding and everything else are the same.

So last week or so, other owners and I started having problem with our routers. The routers reset themselves to manufacture setting and they couldn't save the setting after reboot. My warranty only has 1 month left so i decided to get the RMA. It was a pain for me to get to the end of this due to the busy phone line support.
Finally, I received my replacement and tried to set it up using Netgear firmware (1.0.2.68). No 3rd party firmware yet. I decided not to restore my setting from the bad router. I manually re entered all the information again (Wifi, port forwarding, etc).
Surprising, everything is working again and my cameras connect instantly like they did before. The network runs smoothly (speedtest shows the same speed with the old router). However, internally the network is much better. NAS shows up faster. Files copy also a little bit faster. Additionally, my other set of cameras - Arlo connects faster (8 cameras). The recorded videos also call up faster.

In conclusion, I honestly don't know what to say about what have caused the problems. My simple thought about all these things is "The performance of the router is downgraded overtime due to the additional features or modification in the 3rd party firmware. It could be bad overtime by the manufacture firmware as well but who knows". For now, the new router is working great.

Thank you, this is just my thought.

P.S: my replacement is brand new. Plastic wraps in original box. It even came with power adapter, Cat6 cable, and instruction, manual, the antennas are sealed in the plastic as well. The antennas ports have plastic caps to cover them.

I would like to run kamoj's script "artmtd -r protime | strings" but I need some help.

I have located the correct version of telnetenabled.exe for Win10. However, when I run it with my parameters, it returns:

starting...
creating pkt...
sending pkt...
done.

and then it returns to the command prompt. No busybox. No console.

Could someone kindly tell me what I am doing wrong.

I will get an eSata drive and have as many things as possible running from it.
I would not advice to use eSATA...

I started to use NETGEAR router buying R7500. Two R7500 routers. With eSATA drive. First failed after two weeks or so. Just amber LED "eSATA" and nothing more. RMA. Second failed after two months or so. The same amber "eSATA". No power LED, no WAN. Only amber eSATA and white flashing LAN (cable attached). Again RMA. I did not yet started my builds of firmware...

So IMO it is some system hardware bug in R7500. R7800 is very close to R7500. And I do not risk with eSATA drives anymore.

Up to you of course.

Voxel.

Run point 3 + 4 from here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/kamoj-add-on-v5-for-netgear-r7800-x4s-and-r9000-x10.60590/

I would like to run kamoj's script "artmtd -r protime | strings" but I need some help.

I have located the correct version of telnetenabled.exe for Win10. However, when I run it with my parameters, it returns:

starting...
creating pkt...
sending pkt...
done.

and then it returns to the command prompt. No busybox. No console.

Could someone kindly tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks!

Just changed my order.
Got a SSD and a SATA+PWR to USB3 cable.

Will be able to use swap (was avoiding so far because of USB2 speeds.

I understand there is an internal MTD flash (nvram) the ram and the internal disk. Do I understand correctly that the internal disk (rootfs) is in fact a partition of the MTD flash?

In that case, Is it possible to mount rootfs from USB and avoid (reduce) any write on MTD?
With a SSD, that might even be faster that internal MTD...

I would not advice to use eSATA...

I started to use NETGEAR router buying R7500. Two R7500 routers. With eSATA drive. First failed after two weeks or so. Just amber LED "eSATA" and nothing more. RMA. Second failed after two months or so. The same amber "eSATA". No power LED, no WAN. Only amber eSATA and white flashing LAN (cable attached). Again RMA. I did not yet started my builds of firmware...

So IMO it is some system hardware bug in R7500. R7800 is very close to R7500. And I do not risk with eSATA drives anymore.

Up to you of course.

Voxel.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!