What's new

R9000 as a wireless bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

raven-au

Hi all,

The R9000 isn't available here in Australia yet but I was looking at Wireless bridge setup in the manual.

I see that, according to the manual, only the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands are available for selection when connecting as a wireless bridge.

That seems a little strange as one reason to get this device, because there are virtually no 60Ghz clients, is to bridge two together over the 60Ghz band, assuming that sort of throughput is needed.

Can anyone that has one of these confirm that the 60Ghz band is not an option for this please?

Ian

As the 60GHz band is nominally a line of sight/same room connection, it would make no sense for it to be used as a backhaul band.

That's because 802.11ad isn't a valid use case for something like this...

Review my post here... 11ad can barely punch a hole thru a wet paper towel...

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/wigig-802-11ad-in-a-nutshell.35620/

Yes, I was wondering about how the higher frequency would go in terms of coverage in a domestic environment.

But, same room, line of sight, wireless bridge isn't necessarily an invalid use case.
I do acknowledge that a dual 5Ghz device would cover this case, and possibly better than 802.11ad devices.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!