What's new

R9000 Voxel/Entware libftdi1 (ser2net) incompatible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Selcal

Occasional Visitor
--Hi all,

Sorry if I'm posting a n00b question. I've just started out with Voxel's firmware and installed Entware on it as well, on my Netgear N9000. First of all, great work! Good to have this little machine back up to date, and more capable to boot!

I've got pretty much everything working the way I want it now, except for one thing on my wishlist: the router is near my P1 smart meter. I would like a rPi on the network running Domoticz to read this, and using ser2net this is possible (and tested). ser2net is an Entware package available for Entware which I have already installed succesfully. But it cannot communicate (yet) with the usb adapter as no device (driver) is installed.

So the USB-Serial adapter, is not recognized by the os I think. No dev/ttyUSBx is created when the device is plugged in, live or after reboot.

My understanding is that I'd need the libftdi1 package, which supports my chip. But when I try to install it, I get:
Code:
Unknown package 'libftdi1'.
Collected errors:
 * pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for libftdi1 found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package libftdi1.

Is the package simply not available for this router hardware? I'm not that new to Linux, but quite new to it's lower-level work and Entware etc. Am I missing something simple? I'd love to have this adapter connected and have the router do the smartmeter reading over the net. But I can't seem to get the adapter recognized.

Hopefully it's just me and there is a simple solution :). Thanks!

did you use /opt/bin/opkg install libftdi1 ??
if you used the plain opkg install command, then it probably used the router version of opkg, which doesn't know voxels entware library

Ouch... that was a stupid mistake... I installed several packages before, and somehow this slipped my brain and never got back! Thanks, that worked (obviously :) )
Not quite there with the project though, when I connect the USB-serial adapter to the second USB port, and reboot, the adapter still doesn't seem to show up anywhere. AFAIK it should be a ttyUSBx dev.

I can see it with lsusb:
Code:
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 Serial (UART) IC

But I can't find a way for ser2net to connect to it. At least the FTDI package mistery is solved to start with :)! Thanks for the quick reply.

Last edited:
Ok, looks like I hit my limits. The package installed fine with the good reminder of R. Gerrits.
By its description I though the libftdi package would contain the driver (ftdi_sio) but I now don't think it works like that :).

Am I right in that the module for the ftdi chips is not in the R9000 firmware? Is there a way to put it there myself or compile one? Unfortunately this is in the ranges of 0 experience for me.

Ok, looks like I hit my limits. The package installed fine with the good reminder of R. Gerrits.
By its description I though the libftdi package would contain the driver (ftdi_sio) but I now don't think it works like that :).

Am I right in that the module for the ftdi chips is not in the R9000 firmware? Is there a way to put it there myself or compile one? Unfortunately this is in the ranges of 0 experience for me.

I am sorry, but it is problematic to help users with such specific needs. Abstract: you have some specific USB device. You need its support. But all of us do not have such a device to trace your problem.

I'd suggest you to try to get the help in Entware forum. It is in Russian, but guys speak English. And Google translator is your helper.

Entware team is very friendly. I know.

Voxel.

I completely understand! I'm going to check there, thanks for the tip. Wouldn't have dared try (not even found it) without the suggestion. Let's see what gives!
Thanks again, S

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!