What's new

Raid 1 NAS under $500

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marshall

Occasional Visitor
Can anyone recommend a NAS that will have Raid 1, and a usb port for an external drive, must be compatible with Mac and PC.
Has to be either under $500 or a little over and I need it to include the drives in the price.
So far my choices are the 1TB Lacie 2Big Network or the Iomega StorCenter ix2, I like the Iomega, but the drives aren't hot swapable, which is why I'm thinking of getting the Lacie, can anyone recommend any other brands.

Thanks
Marshall

Thanks Thiggins,

I had a look at the Netgear readynas duo, but then I read the review on this site which had cons:
• Can't configure to JBOD or RAID 0
• Backup to external NAS problems

So due to external NAS problems I thought it best to leave it, also I read some other reviews that have had problems with Mac OSX.

I was browsing the forum mainly because of my disappointment since I bought LaCie 2Big:
- the On/OFF/AUTO at the back aren't doing anything
- noise level after 20 minutes running; which gets better when "playing" with power connector (?!!)
- the apps to connect to NAS never worked well (that's why I forgot the name), losing IP address, hanging for ever, etc. I bought Expandrive for Mac as a replacement.

I'm aware that not being an expert in small network I may be missing something. But LaCie's products are more generic/easy out-of-the-box-set-up type and I shouldn't have had such experience.
Look at it now, product like Drobo looks very attractive...
good luck with your set!

Thanks pascalv for your reply.
Anyone else had any problems with Lacie Products?

This NAS is going to be replacing my IBM file and mail Server, I do have the option of just uninstalling MS Exchange and using as a file server.
But I thought with NAS I wouldn't have the other expense of Antivirus and Maintenance.

Thanks Thiggins,

I had a look at the Netgear readynas duo, but then I read the review on this site which had cons:
• Can't configure to JBOD or RAID 0
• Backup to external NAS problems

So due to external NAS problems I thought it best to leave it, also I read some other reviews that have had problems with Mac OSX.

uhm where did you get that info... thats heavily outdated. the readynas duo can do x-raid, raid1, raid0. it just cant do real jbod.

i also never heard of backup-problems to an external nas (define external nas first).

in terms of backup you wont find anything that beats a readynas in terms of flexibility :)

uhm where did you get that info... thats heavily outdated. the readynas duo can do x-raid, raid1, raid0. it just cant do real jbod.

i also never heard of backup-problems to an external nas (define external nas first).

in terms of backup you wont find anything that beats a readynas in terms of flexibility :)
I checked with NETGEAR. They said that they added Flex-RAID support last year due to user demand. It will support RAID 0, but not JBOD. So you can add a second drive for capacity expansion. But if a drive dies in RAID 0, you lose all data.

The backup problem was discussed in the review (bottom of the page). I don't know whether NETGEAR has fixed it.

Thanks for all your replys,

I decided not to buy a NAS under $500.
I was trying to replace our IBM Server 206x, which we use as a File and mail server. If we replaced the server with a NAS we were going to just POP the email and use the NAS for file sharing.
Our server runs MS SBS 2003 with MS Exchange, we paid around $12000 for it, it has tape backup and Raid 1. It costs a lot to maintain but it does the job and I don't think I can replace it with a NAS.