What's new

RAM usage 86u vs 68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RAJ

Regular Contributor
Just curious on why the 68u uses very little ram vs the 86u. With same number of connections my 68u will use only 89MB of ram/256 while the 86u will use 280MB/512. Both using the same version of Merlin.

No issues with either router just wondering why the 86u uses so much more ram.

"86u" is ambiguous, but given the 512kB memory I'm assuming you're talking about the RT-AC86U and not the RT-AX86U.

Some reasons are;
different architecture (32bit vs. 64bit)
different kernel version
different SDK
different hardware, requiring different drivers to be loaded
dynamic memory allocation (programs may alter their memory usage based on available memory)
etc.

The one thing that has almost zero effect on memory usage is the number of network connections.

"86u" is ambiguous, but given the 512kB memory I'm assuming you're talking about the RT-AC86U and not the RT-AX86U.

Some reasons are;
different kernel version
different SDK
dynamic memory allocation (programs may alter their memory usage based on available memory)
etc.

The one thing that has almost zero effect on memory usage is the number of network connections.

Some reasons are;
different kernel version
different SDK
etc.

Yes RT-AC86u vs RT-AC68u
Did not know the 68u was 32 bit. Its probably dynamic memory allocation.

Both using the same version of Merlin.

Both are running different firmware. What you see is the same GUI. Both routers have about the same RAM available after boot. AC86U hardware has more RAM because it needs more RAM, not because Asus decided to give the users 256MB extra.

I realize they don't have the same cpu or exactly the same hardware. I was talking about what is using the extra ram. And on reboot the AC86u still uses much more. Not 10 percent more, not 50 percent more but 3.3 times more. I just wanted to know what was using it. Is most of it reserved for potential use or are there new applications running in the background that are not on the AC68u?

I guess I was looking for specifics.