What's new

Random regular wan drops

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oogolel

New Around Here
Been facing this issue for a while now where wan drops every now and then for anywhere from 10-30 seconds on my rt ac68u. Ofcourse my ISP says everything is fine on their end. Posting the syslog below, also the time stamps are all whack where there is some discontinuity in the timeline every time the wan connection fails and the date being set to May 5th every time the router is rebooted which im assuming is normal.

Last edited:
Untitled.png

IS this a cable connection with a 68u behind the modem or DSL connection? I asked that because if the 68u is behind another device what happens if you tie in directly to the modem? Do the drops still happen?

If you upload the entire log to somewhere like pastebin.com we'd have a better overview of the problem. The 5th May dates merely indicate that you rebooted the router. The other time anomalies are timezone offsets.

That said the very first line of your log shows the previous connection lasted for exactly 480 minutes, or 8 hours. This suggests to me that this is your ISP giving you an 8 hour lease.

If you upload the entire log to somewhere like pastebin.com we'd have a better overview of the problem. The 5th May dates merely indicate that you rebooted the router. The other time anomalies are timezone offsets.

That said the very first line of your log shows the previous connection lasted for exactly 480 minutes, or 8 hours. This suggests to me that this is your ISP giving you an 8 hour lease.

Thanks, heres the full log https://pastebin.com/Wyx7Fw8m , i thought it might just be a lease thing but it happens more often than that as you will see in the log with regards to disconnects other than the one drop i posted. I'll post a more expansive log soon this was one that i saved in the morning after i did a full factory reset the night before so there wasnt much traffic going through the connection. When i do a long session where im actively using the connection, it will drop out several times and when i check the log it shows that the wan had indeed failed to connect. The browser will show a no internet error, however i wont receive any redirect notice from the router, and the connection is back again in about 20 seconds.

Last edited:
IS this a cable connection with a 68u behind the modem or DSL connection? I asked that because if the 68u is behind another device what happens if you tie in directly to the modem? Do the drops still happen?

It's kinda hard to tell my computer is connected to my ac68u over lan and i have an ethernet cable coming into my house which comes from a switch my distributor has and my actual isp supplies the distributor through a modem which my distributor does not have access to. It's all very messy but unfortunately normal where i'm from.

Thanks, heres the full log https://pastebin.com/Wyx7Fw8m , i thought it might just be a lease thing but it happens more often than that as you will see in the log with regards to disconnects other than the one drop i posted. I'll post a more expansive log soon this was one that i saved in the morning after i did a full factory reset the night before so there wasnt much traffic going through the connection. When i do a long session where im actively using the connection, it will drop out several times and when i check the log it shows that the wan had indeed failed to connect. The browser will show a no internet error, however i wont receive any redirect notice from the router, and the connection is back again in about 20 seconds.
Apart from that one disconnection after 8 hours there are no other unexpected disconnections in the log. All the other WAN related messages are from you rebooting the router.

Getting some work done i my house so haven't been using the internet much but these were the kind of disconnects i've been talking about https://pastebin.com/4H29a7S7 you can see it at 14:29 where it disconnects because of failing 10 echo-requests. Feels like it's ISP related but will changing the internet detection to DNS probe or disabling it help in anyway? Also it looks like my ISP is blocking ICMP requests not allowing me to run pings or traces in command prompt could that affect anything?

The "No response to 10 echo-requests" usually indicates an issue on the ISP side. Changing the router's internet detection to DNS probe shouldn't make any difference because the error relates to an LCP echo request not ICMP.

I'm not sure how/why you can't ping or traceroute. ICMP is fairly fundamental to the operation of the internet so if your ISP is blocking it I expect many things would break.

Yeah, thanks for the help i'll take the matter up with my ISP, time to beat my head against a brick wall :(