What's new

Random Wifi Latency on Laptop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lunchbox

New Around Here
Hey guys,

I am not sure if this is a Merlin issue or not, but I do run it on my RT-66U (376.49_5).

If I associate with my work laptop to the 2.4 ghz band, eventually the latency goes through the roof (1000-2000ms on a ping) and I have to disable and re-enable the card. It's works fine for while. When I reset the card, it goes away, but eventually comes back. I haven't seen this on this laptop with wireless anywhere else, so it might be some interaction between the card and the router. I don't think it's traffic related as other machines on the network don't have the same issue at the same time.

The card is an Intel Centrino Advanced N 6235. I've updated the drivers a few times which doesn't seem to help.

Just wondering if someone could throw out some ideas of stuff to try. Thanks.

Did you install only the Intel driver or the whole networking suite for Intel? If the latter applies, you might want to set it up with driver only and see if this disappears.

I used to have the same problems with my Intel Centrino Advanced N 6205.
Every minute or so the ping spiked to around 300 / 400 ms instead of the usual 25 / 35 ms.
During normal web browsing I never noticed anything, but when playing some online games....
The ping spikes were caused by the card scanning for wireless networks in the background.
By switching of the function "ScanWhenAssociated" in regedit, the card now doesn't scan for networks anymore when it is already connected.
The only disadvantage would be that my laptop doesn't automatically switch to the access point with the strongest signal anymore.
But I can live with that ^^
See link for instructions:

http://jakthebomb.tumblr.com/post/90717903679/intel-wireless-ping-spikes-and-lag-fixed