What's new

Re: Is $500 The New $300 For Routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BLE is for control via paired smartphone, a la Google OnHub. Getting rid of the HTTP server and admin GUI frees up flash space.

Being able to manage via a desktop app is extremely handy when using multiple AP's - esp if more than 2... whether it's on a smartphone, or my preference, a desktop application...

(however, shooting some angry eyes at Apple for dumbing down their management util - 5.6 was pretty decent, but 6.* has lost a lot of functionality)

some routers have touchscreens.

There is the Almond's, and if I recall, D-Link had one some time back (or was it Netgear?)...

Come to think of it, my Sierra Wireless/Netgear ATT Excite Pro 4G/LTE hotspot has a touchscreen...

The touchscreen is a cost adder (not just HW, but software as well), and like many other things, supplanted/replaced by SmartPhone apps...

There is the Almond's, and if I recall, D-Link had one some time back (or was it Netgear?)...

Come to think of it, my Sierra Wireless/Netgear ATT Excite Pro 4G/LTE hotspot has a touchscreen...

The touchscreen is a cost adder (not just HW, but software as well), and like many other things, supplanted/replaced by SmartPhone apps...

I assume, less functions less things people can screw around with, which translates to lower support costs. It seems other manufacturers have also done the same though not to the extent of Apple.

I assume, less functions less things people can screw around with, which translates to lower support costs. It seems other manufacturers have also done the same though not to the extent of Apple.

Yes and no - some things have been cleaned up a bit, but others have added additional features to make up for it..

Yes, but those devices (computers) we have. It is the reason we need routers for.

A smartphone is not a device. It is just an annoying toy. That if used with apps and such tracks the user really, really well.

ROFL

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!