What's new

ReadyNas Ultra 4 or Synology DS411+?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

greentreefrog

New Around Here
Hi everyone. At the risk of repeating what has no doubt already been asked here, I'm torn between these two products and would appreciate some advice!

This will be my first Nas, and I'm looking for something to do the following:

• Centralised network storage for photos and mp3s, and eventually DVD/BD rips
  • Shared documents between three computers (one PC, 2 Mac) on my home network
  • Streaming audio & video to network enabled TV/media centre
  • Backup from Nas to usb drive or eventually second Nas
  • Ability to connect ip camera to network
  • Remote access to documents

I'm sure there are other features I would make use of, such as bittorrent, however these are the most important to me.

I've been going round and round in circles for the last week or so trying to decide what would be best for me, and have settled on either the Ultra 4 or the DS411+. I would like a 4 bay set-up, although I will probably start with 2 drives in a RAID 1 configuration and expand later when I need more space. I see no point in buying a Nas now only to have to replace it next year!

I'm aware that the Ultra 4 does not support ip cameras, however does anyone know if there is an add-on that will enable this feature, as this is currently swaying me towards the DS411+?

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice, and thanks for all the useful info already here on the forum - it's been invaluable!

Jeremy

Did you end up picking one these? I'm actually looking at either an Ultra 4 or DS-410 to stay closer to the $500 price point.

Hi, as it happens I'm still undecided, although since my previous post I've started looking at the Synology DS411+II, and will probably end up getting it (unless anyone here can give me a good reason not to!).

Now I just have to decide which drives to get...:confused:

Hmm, no one replied to your post?

I'm torn between the 2-bay versions of the ReadyNas and Synology.

I was hoping to find some help in your post, but I guess I'll wait someone to reply on mine then...

Did you already buy one of them? If so. Care to share your experiences?

From my experience you will get a much better web interface to access the NAS if you go with Synology. The last Netgear NAS (an older 2 bay unit) I used had a horrible web interface.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!