What's new

Rebuilding Home Network - Advice?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Norcross

Occasional Visitor
I'm getting ready to rebuild my home network. When I started, I had 1 server acting as a web / email / FTP all in one, along with some shared files for the house. Over time, my server activity has increased, and I've added a 2nd server (soon to add a 3rd), and the number of machines themselves has increased (2 desktops, 2 laptops, and a media center). Suffice to say, my 'home' network rivals that of a small business, and I am starting to hit a wall as far as performance, file sharing, etc.

All the PCs & laptops run a flavor of Vista 64 bit, and both servers have Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard.

Here's what I'd like to do:

1. Split the network into two separate LANs, "home" and "servers".
2. Put line drops in various parts of the house for the "home" LAN.
3. Add a NAS or Media Server for the "home" LAN for music, video, etc.​

Here's my current hardware:

1. Linksys WRVS4400N 4 port Wireless N router
2. Linksys SR224 24 port 10/100 unmanaged switch
3. Netgear WNDR3300 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Router (won here in a contest!)​

Currently, all my networking equipment is in the attic office of my 1 story house. I plan on putting as little downstairs as needed, other than the drop lines themselves. I know I'll need to add some hardware (other than the NAS, which I have yet to purchase / build), but wanted to get ya'll opinion / experience on what hardware I'd need to purchase, and where in the layout it should be.

I would say that you don't want to split your network into two separate segments unless you have a router that can connect them at full speeds. I don't know if Tim has tested LAN-LAN vlan routing, but you will probably be bandwidth limited, unless you have a very high-end router.

Also, depending on what you're trying to do, and what your licensing options are, a virtualization environment might be a choice for you, having a single host server that is powerful and then make several VMs to run your various applications. I've loved my quad core 8g ram box and being able to run 3, 4 and 5 different VMs at the same time, and be able to bring new machines up almost at will.

Tam

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!