What's new

Recommendation - Equipment for house with domotic

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hammerhand

New Around Here
Hello. I want to buy a system for my new two-storey house (about 150 square meters). I have always used Asus routers and I've been very happy with them. Now I have an ac68u router which have memory issues.

I've been advised to buy a mikrotik router and two Cap-acs, but I find them very difficult to set up, and I've read that mesh networks are not completely advisable; I've seen about ubiquity but I've never had them (and they are quite expensive).

I would need a router in which I can use Movistar VLANS for tv, and in which I can set as static ips as I want because I have Home assistant and a bunch of devices connected to Wifi/zigbee.

Thanks in advance.

You don't need a special Router to set static IP addresses as they are set at the client.
Asus RT-AX86U or RT-AX86S is a good starting point.

I think the Cisco small business networking equipment is much easier to setup than mikrotik as the Cisco has a GUI and has wizards for setup.

I think the Cisco small business networking equipment is much easier to setup than mikrotik as the Cisco has a GUI and has wizards for setup.

I agree - Cisco Small Biz gear is clearly going to be more secure than anything Microtik has shipped...

You don't need a special Router to set static IP addresses as they are set at the client.
Asus RT-AX86U or RT-AX86S is a good starting point.
I know, but some routers has a limit (even my ac68u starts to complain if I set too much of them).

I will take a look at these models. What about the wifi range?

Any recommended model? haven't touched any cisco router.

Just another question: what about wifi mesh packs (like zenwifi). Do they need to be connected to a good router or would they work for themselves? I guess they are worse as routers as the RT-AX86U, but I want to be sure.

Are these Cisco ones also annual rental?

The question is - what Cisco ones? Cisco has no direct replacement router for RV34x series. They are EOS from 10/2021 and it enter EOL in 10/2022. I have already replaced my Cisco Small Business gear with something else. RV34x routers were not annual rentals. If you don't pay a license, you just don't have specific features. Basic functionality was there, no account or registration needed.

Meraki MX67 series is probably the closest device capability-wise within the Cisco small business lineup - I've seen these deployed in corporate branch offices. Licensing is a bit spendy, but anything with the Cisco label on it - goes with the territory I suppose.

Other options for small business -

Ubiquity with their edge router/switch/ap solutions where a centrally managed stack is a handy thing.

I've heard good things about Omada, but nothing hands on...

Cisco options are too expensive for what they offer. I’ve got Netgate 6100 units.