What's new

Recommendation for a new WiFi Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnDoe007

Occasional Visitor
Here is my setup:

Xfinity Internet 100Down/5Up, devices includes:

FireTV (Wifi)
Internet Media Box (Wired)
two-three laptops (only 1 is heavy gamming/peer-to-peer file sharing) (All Wifi)
Two Amazon Echo (Wifi)
1 Smart Hub (Wifi)
1 Wireless printer
2 Iphone's

Occasional guests numbers around 5-10 using their smartphones using WiFi.

I currently have E4200 v1 running Tomatoe that connects to Xfinity Modem and E1200 running tomato connected to E4200 for extending wifi range, the residential rental building I live is extremely congested, I can see almost 15+ SSID's in a given time. The connection problem mostly happens in Master bedroom that is approx 10Feet away where I almost consistently lose connection on 5Ghz wifi radio and the performance of 2Ghz is really slow and is a hit/miss.

I am seriously considering upgrading to ASUS RT-88U since the reviews are pretty solid to handle loads, but I am undecided whether it will solve my disconnect and slow WiFi speeds.

Any recommendation?

Pretty much any decently-reviewed AC1750/AC1900 router should be just fine. You want to avoid 2.4GHz as much as possible but some of your devices do not support 5GHz and cannot be upgraded (Echos, printer)

Pretty much any decently-reviewed AC1750/AC1900 router should be just fine. You want to avoid 2.4GHz as much as possible but some of your devices do not support 5GHz and cannot be upgraded (Echos, printer)

Correct my Printer is 2Ghz, but Amazon Echo (1st Generation) support 5Ghz, but anyways thanks for the suggestion.

So would RT-88U be an overkill? Any other recommendations?

I am seriously considering upgrading to ASUS RT-88U since the reviews are pretty solid to handle loads, but I am undecided whether it will solve my disconnect and slow WiFi speeds.
Myself, my bias is I would love to see you go ==> Asus anything but I'm unsure that would solve anything.
  • Is the e1200 set up as a wired access point or as a wireless range extender?
  • What is in the bedroom? (TV, laptop?)
  • What does the bedroom connect to? (e4200 or e1200?)
I think I'd start with loading a WiFi analyzer onto one of your laptops and start checking signal strengths in various locations and try to access what your dealing with.
  • Signal strength? Sometimes a slight relocation of equipment will help. If the signals are a little weak an upgrade might help. If the signals are a lot weak it might not.
  • WiFi congestion? Maybe upgrading to AC would help. Or hard-wiring a few more devices.
Are the problems with clients that connect with the e4200 or the e1200? Maybe we should be considering a modest upgrade for the e1200?

Are you thinking that the router upgrade would eliminate the need for both devices? Or just he e4200 (which could then replace the e1200)?

I'd be interested in more info before offering an opinion although, I must admit, an upgrade would be a lot more fun and just might work.

Last edited:
Hey,

Its too late :) I have already upgraded to ASUS RT-AC88U.

Quick thoughts, I am getting much better wifi coverage in the bedroom both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz, no weak signal or dropping off. Also it seems like I am getting almost 117Mbps download on my 100Mbps Internet connection over 5Ghz wifi, with 2.4Ghz its around 40Mbps.

The only modification I made to default settings is to change the 5Ghz is:

Wireless Mode: N/AC Mixed
Channel bandwidth: 40MHz

Also I am running stock latest firmware Version:3.0.0.4.382_18991.

Now here is one question, I would like to use my Private Internet Access account (Open VPN with ovpn file) for my SmartTV and Fire TV Stick, but I don't see an option under VPN to select which IP's can be routed through vpn and which can go directly, is this something avialable under Merlin Firmware?

Myself, my bias is I would love to see you go ==> Asus anything but I'm unsure that would solve anything.
  • Is the e1200 set up as a wired access point or as a wireless range extender?
  • What is in the bedroom? (TV, laptop?)
  • What does the bedroom connect to? (e4200 or e1200?)
I think I'd start with loading a WiFi analyzer onto one of your laptops and start checking signal strengths in various locations and try to access what your dealing with.
  • Signal strength? Sometimes a slight relocation of equipment will help. If the signals are a little weak an upgrade might help. If the signals are a lot weak it might not.
  • WiFi congestion? Maybe upgrading to AC would help. Or hard-wiring a few more devices.
Are the problems with clients that connect with the e4200 or the e1200? Maybe we should be considering a modest upgrade for the e1200?

Are you thinking that the router upgrade would eliminate the need for both devices? Or just he e4200 (which could then replace the e1200)?

I'd be interested in more info before offering an opinion although, I must admit, an upgrade would be a lot more fun and just might work.

Its too late :) I have already upgraded to ASUS RT-AC88U.
Awesome! Glad it's working out for you.

(Myself, I don't know much about VPN)

Last edited:
My suggestion is Netgear. Netgear R7800 would be a good choice but you may like other models. But I believe Netgear would be the best choice.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!