What's new

Recommendation for wireless router option and placement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

galapogos

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I'm looking to recontract with my ISP, and they're offering the following router options for a discounted price. I can choose among the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX6000, Asus RT-AX88U and the TP-Link Archer AX11000 for the same price.

I stay in a 2-storey apartment, and am currently I'm using an Asus RT-AC2600 as the main router in the 1st floor living room, which connects via Cat6 to a Linksys Maxstream EA8100 (also AC2600) in AP mode in the 2nd floor study room. Most, if not all my WiFi 6 devices that require higher wireless network performance (laptops/desktops) are in the study room, and my other devices either don't support WiFi 6 or don't require the high wireless network performance (Smart TV, AV receiver, mobile devices, smart appliances) so I'm thinking of re-using the RT-AC2600 where it is, and replacing the Linksys AP with the new WiFi6 router.

Any idea which choice would be better? Also, does my placement make sense?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I'm looking to recontract with my ISP, and they're offering the following router options for a discounted price. I can choose among the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX6000, Asus RT-AX88U and the TP-Link Archer AX11000 for the same price.

I stay in a 2-storey apartment, and am currently I'm using an Asus RT-AC2600 as the main router in the 1st floor living room, which connects via Cat6 to a Linksys Maxstream EA8100 (also AC2600) in AP mode in the 2nd floor study room. Most, if not all my WiFi 6 devices that require higher wireless network performance (laptops/desktops) are in the study room, and my other devices either don't support WiFi 6 or don't require the high wireless network performance (Smart TV, AV receiver, mobile devices, smart appliances) so I'm thinking of re-using the RT-AC2600 where it is, and replacing the Linksys AP with the new WiFi6 router.

Any idea which choice would be better? Also, does my placement make sense?

Thanks!
2 stories? All you need is a good AX router in a high up central location on the 2nd floor, we have 3 floors and the 5GHz signal of the RT-AX86U reaches all the way into the basement at good signal strength and excellent speeds....

2 stories? All you need is a good AX router in a high up central location on the 2nd floor, we have 3 floors and the 5GHz signal of the RT-AX86U reaches all the way into the basement at good signal strength and excellent speeds....
Buildings in my country are made up of concrete, bricks and metal beams, so it's a bit less signal friendly than the USA. On the 2nd floor, I'm getting about a 5-12dB difference when connecting to the 2nd floor router vs the 1st floor one. Even on the first floor, I often don't get signal in my kitchen bathroom which is a bit further away.

If everything is working then why spend the money on another router?
True. I wouldn't have thought of it, but I think it's a good opportunity to get a newer WiFi 6 router at a steep discount? As a reference, the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 costs about $650-700 (local currency), and I'm able to get it from my ISP for slightly above $300.

True. I wouldn't have thought of it, but I think it's a good opportunity to get a newer WiFi 6 router at a steep discount? As a reference, the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 costs about $650-700 (local currency), and I'm able to get it from my ISP for slightly above $300.

Thats a huge price diff and yes, most US based home owners tend to forget that bunch folks end up being inside "Concrete" Buildings with "Wire mesh RCC" literally being Farday Cages of sort interfere with Wireless.

As a reference, the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 costs about $650-700 (local currency), and I'm able to get it from my ISP for slightly above $300.

And they offer you a contract for 2 years and you actually end up paying more than 650-700 for your “discounted” router?

And they offer you a contract for 2 years and you actually end up paying more than 650-700 for your “discounted” router?
Nope, comparing the total price of getting the router vs just the plan itself, over 2 years, the difference is about $300, which is a lot less than what any of the 3 routers cost where I am.

Would appreciate some answers to my original questions now.

I tried that GT-AX6000 for a couple days, didn't like it much, the gamer interface, does nothing for me that the RT-AX86U wouldn't do, waiting for the RT-AX86U to be upgraded to Wi-Fi 6E

Use existing router as a second AP to reach the kitchen/bathroom area on low power or 5GHz only, place the new router where you have the clients to use higher bandwidth/wifi6 and relocate the existing AP to cover the rest of the downstairs.