What's new

Recommendations - best / cheapest AIMesh node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

webreaper

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

Need an extra node to give coverage over the garden - so looking for the cheapest option to add an AIMesh node to my network. I'm running Asus-Merlin, and it'll be connected via a wired backhaul.

Am I right in thinking that the best option is a used AC68U or AC86U from eBay?

what router have you now? very often when you plan something like that your current router you could use as node and think about new AiMesh router to give extra power, have a main device as a new one.

I would not go with AC86U for node. If you find AC66U_B1 the same that AC68U HW but could be found cheaper.

Hi all,

Need an extra node to give coverage over the garden - so looking for the cheapest option to add an AIMesh node to my network. I'm running Asus-Merlin, and it'll be connected via a wired backhaul.

My convention is to upgrade the existing AiMesh router in time and push the existing router to node duty, if needed. If just starting out, plan for the node to be the backup router.

Am I right in thinking that the best option is a used AC68U or AC86U from eBay?

No, not best option. eBay is where people dump stuff, so use it selectively. People are dumping AC68Us because they are about EOL, slow, and have stunted range. People are dumping AC86Us because they tend to suffer hardware failure more than most models, ~2018-2020 (however, two current AC86Us at $99 a piece could make a nice, cheap, wired AiMesh that trails the bleeding edge).

First see if a new, standalone router will cover everything... and skip the node, if it is not needed... simpler is the best option.

OE

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have said, I currently have an AC86U as my router, and an AC68U as an AIMesh node. I just want to add another node, as cheaply as possible, to extend the coverage over the garden, as it's currently a bit patchy due to the position of the other two nodes in the house.

To expand the choices: RT-AC68U, RT-AC66U_B1 or RT-AC1900U.
Basically all the same, most web shops sell one or the other for a very fair price.