What's new

Recommendations on Alternatives to FVS318G and RV 220W

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phylum

New Around Here
I've been using a Verizon supplied ActionTec AP/router for some time now and am looking to replace it. Like most I'm looking for as much functionality as possible without sacrificing a quarter of my kidney. I'd like to stay below/around $100 but I'm willing to go up to $150ish if I think the product is worth it (like scoring at least 8 out of 10 or better).

I recognize I'm looking for a router replacement (since I'd like DHCP built-in), but I'll settle for a semi-managed/smart swith and let the actiontec handout IPs. The only real requirements I have is that the device must have 8 gigabit ports, support VLANs and jumbo frames. In the would likes column however it would be great if the device could support site-to-site VPN and have some Firewall features. Bonus if it does DHCP and 802.11a/b/g/n or some combination of. (Like the Cisco RV220W for instance, which ohly has 4 ports, but I could buy an extra regular 8-port GigE switch.)

I like the FVS318G, but it doesn't support VLANs which is a big deal for what I'm doing here with VM's and physical machines alike. Based on what I saw today the Netgear GS108T[-200] looks like it'll meet he big items. But before I whip out my wallet, I believe I could benefit greatly from the community here and get some recommendations from those with far more networking experiencec than I and/or, actual devices that have some of the functionality I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You have many more options using a smart / managed switch. The GS108T should work fine and has limited lifetime warranty.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!