What's new

Redirect internet traffic through tunnel - yes (all) vs. VPN director (policy rules)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jschu2

Occasional Visitor
I'm trying to set up a kill switch for NordVPN on my RT-AX86S router, but the firmware settings are slightly different than my old RT-N66U. According to the guide that I used before here:

It says I should select "Redirect Internet Traffic: Policy Rules" and then enter Source IP: 192.168.1.0/24 and Destination IP: leave blank. After selecting redirect internet traffic, for my old router firmware, I could just scroll down and make edits on the same page. Now when I scroll down, the chart is empty, but I'm given the option to "click here to edit," which directs me to a completely new tab called VPN director. The VPN hasn't been enabled yet and everything is greyed out, but if I click on "edit" to the right of the VPN connection I was working on, the screen says "applying settings," then returns me to the VPN client tab.

So, I scrolled down and noticed that there's a new option (I think, or at least I didn't notice this in the old router) to just choose Yes (all), rather than entering policy rules. Is this the same as it would be if I manually enter Source IP: 192.168.1.0/24 and Destination IP: leave blank?

I just scrolled down the VPN director tab and noticed that I had missed the "add new rule" table. I entered in the settings as I had done in the past, but didn't know if I should just choose WAN for interface or if it's better to chose an individual VPN connection. Keep in mind that my old router only had the option for 1 VPN connection, so this is all new. The instructions on NordVPN say to choose the Iface : VP option, which isn't there. Choosing WAN didn't automatically apply these settings to the VPN connection I was setting up, so I had to do that manually from the VPN client tab.

Is what I did any different than if I had just stayed with the "yes (all)" option? I realize that this allows me to prevent certain devices from going through the VPN, but if I want everything to go through the tunnel, does it matter?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!