What's new

Regarding the Remote Access Config and to Enable Access Restrictions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Logi

When connecting remotely (outside my house, remote WAN access) to the router I don't know what the IP address will be, but that's the only Access Restriction option, should the restriction should be a specific device MAC address based?

1659354287048.png

No, it has to be by network or host IP address.
Thank you, that will work only if you are accessing for a known place, where you know the IP in advance, but if you are traveling, you never know in advance what the IP will be.

Thank you, that will work only if you are accessing for a known place, where you know the IP in advance, but if you are traveling, you never know in advance what the IP will be.
You should be using a VPN.

You should be using a VPN.
Great suggestion, that means with VPN I don't have to enable Web access from WAN, correct? What is the best VPN server for Apple devices? IPSec? Would it be better OpenVPN? I will need access from iOS, iPadOS and macOS devices, so the client side app is as important as the actual VPN Server. From a security perspective which one his more robust? IPSec or OpenVPN?

Last edited:
Great suggestion, that means with VPN I don't have to enable Web access from WAN, correct?
Correct. You should never be enabling web access from WAN anyway. It has a long history of security issues. Remote SSH access on a non-standard port is much less of a risk.

What is the best VPN server for Apple devices? IPSec? Would it be better OpenVPN?
Sorry, I don't use Apple devices.

Correct. You should never be enabling web access from WAN anyway. It has a long history of security issues. Remote SSH access on a non-standard port is much less of a risk.

Sorry, I don't use Apple devices.
Let me rephrase my question, from the Asus RT-AX86U perspective, which VPN Server is better to use OpenVPN or IPSec? Mostly from the perspective for CPU utilization and load to the router?

Let me rephrase my question, from the Asus RT-AX86U perspective, which VPN Server is better to use OpenVPN or IPSec? Mostly from the perspective for CPU utilization and load to the router?
I don't know, I've never compared to two. I would imagine in a real-world scenario it wouldn't matter which you used. I've never stayed somewhere where the internet speeds were high enough to cause any significant load on my router regardless of the protocol being used. In other words the bottleneck is the internet not the router.

@Logi I used OpenVPN in my iphone and macos without issues.

If using a phone use Instant guard. Simple to set up and use (in fact I am using it now as I write this).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!