What's new

Regarding Wireless - I don't know how to describe what is happening...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So I did a complete initialize yesterday. I restored with initialization. I then restored my configuration because I do not want to lose my DHCP Server settings. I will switch out the 88U with the 86U and turn the 88U into an Ai-Node. I will also turn off Ai-Protection and the Traffic Monitor off.

I'll then report back but continue to check here for updates and suggestions. I can't do anything until the ethernet switch is delivered.

Restoring an old configuration can undo the factory default reset. Given you are fishing for a solution, you would not want to introduce uncertainties by using your saved configuration. Customizations like your DHCP server settings come last, if ever, after you have a stable working network.

I would use 45717 on your 86U.

OE

So I did a complete initialize yesterday. I restored with initialization. I then restored my configuration because I do not want to lose my DHCP Server settings. I will switch out the 88U with the 86U and turn the 88U into an Ai-Node.
Also, you should not use a backup from one router and restore it on another one. So don't try to use your 88U backup to transfer settings to the 86U.

I have an ASUS Ai-Mesh network consisting of a main router, RT-AC88U and an Ai-Mesh node which is an RT-AC86U wired directly to the 88U.

The house is 3 floors (Basement, Floor 1, Floor 2) and the main router, 88U, is located in the finished basement. The 86U is on Floor 2. Both items were bought in July of 2018.

Get things stable - turn off the other AP's first...

Then pour in the changes as needed...

First I’d like to thank everyone for all their advice and suggestions throughout the day. I took each advisement into consideration EXCEPT the Nuclear Reset. Sorry L&LD.
  1. I removed the 86U as an Ai-Node once I got home from work.
  2. I connected the 86U to my existing network and copied over certain settings from the 88U to the 86U. I did not restore from a settings backup.
  3. I then disconnected the 88U from the network and reset it.
  4. I put the 86U in the 88Us place.
  5. I then added the 88U as an Ai-Node.
I know that the settings that I am configuring on the router can have set backs when trying to troubleshoot this issue. But this issue I’ve been experiencing was not present before I initialized the 88U and 86U as a result of the 88U more often than not displaying that troublesome error page.

I’m now up & running just like I was at the start of the day except for the SWAP. I’m about to call it a night so when I wake up, I’ll know,

Again thanks for the help and I’ll update this post once I verify the problem persists.

you wont need the switch if you could run the line cable to the other floor into 86U, so router would stay where they are but 86U will be master and 88U node.

Any reason as to why?

At the very least, subsequent releases exhibit excessive connect/disconnect logging which will confuse matters.

45717 without Smart Connect and AIP is stable for my usage.

81039 was grossly flawed.

81049 was suppose to fix those flaws. I still experienced weirdness.

I choose to hold on 45717 and wait for the next release. I trust 45717 to work for you for now.

OE

Okay. So day 2 of performing the swap and I have no issues. I wish I could guess what the original issue was but there are just way too many variables.

I am really disappointed that I did not realize the 86U was more powerful than the 88U. Higher numbers indicating better revisions must be a joke to ASUS.

Last edited:
Why should this be?

Because it's a standard in R&D that as version/revision/model numbers increase, things improve. So unless the 86U and 88U are a different class of product, for example one being a router and the other being an access point only, the higher number should indicate that it is above the lower number.

But they, the 88U and 86U, are not different classes of product. The 86U is in fact newer according to my research.

In my opinion this is misleading. If I knew this ahead of time, and it's my own fault, I would have never bought the 88U and instead purchased another 86U.

You cant compare it in your easy very subjective way!
Others will say 88U is better because they wont need faster CPU but:
faster WiFi specs (3100 instead of 2900) or
external antennas 4 instead of only 3 or
doubled LAN ports

Or simply the overall function and pricing, higher price -> higher number :p

Last edited:
Because it's a standard in R&D that as version/revision/model numbers increase, things improve. So unless the 86U and 88U are a different class of product, for example one being a router and the other being an access point only, the higher number should indicate that it is above the lower number.

But they, the 88U and 86U, are not different classes of product. The 86U is in fact newer according to my research.

In my opinion this is misleading. If I knew this ahead of time, and it's my own fault, I would have never bought the 88U and instead purchased another 86U.

Model numbering is an ancillary purchase consideration... you didn't do your homework if it was your only one... onerous as that can be.

OE

A newer processor in most situations always dictates the higher-performing machine. In this case, the faster CPU indicates the more the device will be able to handle as far a device load is concerned. Yes, the theoretical wireless speed is higher in the 88U than the 86U but the slower processor will become a limiting factor where as the faster, newer processor will handle more device load.

Okay. So day 2 of performing the swap and I have no issues. I wish I could guess what the original issue was but there are just way too many variables.

I am really disappointed that I did not realize the 86U was more powerful than the 88U. Higher numbers indicating better revisions must be a joke to ASUS.

Higher numbers only mean something in math. :)

For model number schemes, anything goes!

Besides, the RT-AC86U is not the successor to the RT-AC88U...

Have a look at the prices of 88U and 86U!!!
86U is much cheaper than 88U, so the numbers are somehow correct, for most people the 88U is worth more otherwise nobody would buy an 88U.

I see, for you a car with 300PS is much better than one with only 250PS, either one is big truck with all features you can imagine and robust engine and the other a little cabrio worth nothing but with more power.

Last edited:
Have a look at the prices of 88U and 86U!!!
86U is much cheaper than 88U, so the numbers are somehow correct, for most people the 88U is worth more otherwise nobody would buy an 88U.

I see, for you a car with 300PS is much better than one with only 250PS, either one is big truck with all features you can imagine and the other a little cabrio worth nothing.

The first time you respond to me, you state, "Please no arguing" ... yet you seem to like starting arguments or become insulting.

I said,
So unless the 86U and 88U are a different class of product, for example one being a router and the other being an access point only, the higher number should indicate that it is above the lower number.

So your analogy is misplaced. Because a Cabriolet and Truck would be 2 different classes of vehicle.

An A5 is less than an S5 which is less than an RS5.

Higher numbers only mean something in math. :)

For model number schemes, anything goes!

Besides, the RT-AC86U is not the successor to the RT-AC88U...

In this case with ASUS, it seems I have to agree. But in my experience, higher model numbers are usually all-around offering more and include what lower models include. For example CPU model numbers, which is usually why the higher models are more expensive. But perhaps networking equipment is different.

you only want to blame others for your fault not looking at the specs essentially for your special case, maybe VPN and running Merlin with all possible scripts available.
Otherwise using stock firmware you wont see any differences in speed but with 88U you have no need to buy a seperate switch for more LAN-ports pulling power all the year.
For me and most other average users (not those little amount of freaks in this forum - meant in a positive manner) there are other relevant specs while CPU and RAM are not worth to mention.

I am definitely not blaming others. I fully take blame and wish I didn't allow myself to be mislead.

I did not have to use a separate switch because I only needed 4 which the 86U has. The 88U being upstairs on floor 2 will work out better because it will allow the WiFi to reach outside in the backyard better.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!