What's new

Rejected one WiFi Router; looking for alternative; UK Virgin SH3 setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

windbag

Occasional Visitor
Hi Folks
We are in the UK, have a Virgin Superhub3 and are seeking to introduce a WiFi router after putting it into modem mode. We have already bought one, but have just returned it due to undocumented limitations and poor WiFi performance.
So we are looking for alternative recommendations, particularly if you have already deployed such on a Virgin SH3 system in this way.
Here is a list of loads of relevant background details; quite long, but trying to pre-answer as many queries as possible.
1) We have a fairly big house with 3 floors and SH3 coverage is struggling at the edges, so one aim is to significantly improve this; the one we just rejected was surprisingly deficient.
In a recent house extension we installed a wired Ethernet system so we can plug in many places; mostly driven by a Netgear (ProSAFE Plus 16 GS116Ev2), plus one other smaller for extra ports near the AV system. There are several laptops & a desktop PC and sundry units calling for internet connections, but many units still require WiFi (many 2.4 GHz, some can use 5GHz)
2) Our main data is on a NAS (QNAP TS-412 TURBO) attached by wired Ethernet; all regular data access needs to be via links to it (WiFi or preferably wired).
3) Also have a fairly large Sonos system (8 zones, each with a Nexus 2012 WiFi tablet as a controller, can only use 2.4 GHz).
4) On the last-but one Sonos update their system refused to start and their only solution was to reboot every unit by hand. Several units could only be accessed by ladders etc, which was not welcome to someone who need a hip replacement have avoided latest update until things are sorted, but has turned Sonos Controller apps into “nagware”.
Was advised it could be an issue with “duplicate IP addresses” (how was not satisfactorily explained, I thought that was a core function of a router and/or Ethernet switch) and to “buy a proper router mate & put SH3 in modem mode”. This seemede like a layer of complexity to avoid (one manufacturer blaming the other for non-performance etc).
Was also advised to set up reserved IPs for each unit.
5) Last count of connected units (WiFi+wired) via MAC Addresses was 47.
6) Part of our home energy (consumption) monitoring system requires a specific port forwarding setup and has been giving grief since Virgin gave us the new SH3 last May (it uses No-Ip protocol/account)
7) Tried getting advice on Virgin website (prob unwise) but was also advised to “buy a proper router mate & put SH3 in modem mode”.
8) Our supplier of PV system ceased trading (thanks to UK Govt policy), but was made worse after we discovered that the supplier of the (Solarcache) monitoring unit had also ceased trading. The unit uses a No-IP protocol but talking with No-IP has proved an uphill struggle, even with their specific “how to forward” for “every” WiFi Router manufacturer pages (which don’t work and their responses indicate they don’t care)
I have a feeling it may end with “buy a proper router mate & put SH3 in modem mode”
9) So, reluctantly, we did research via web and PC mags on measured performance, specific No-IP protocol support, compatibility with Virgin router in Modem mode etc.
10) We highlighted a TP-Link AC2600(Archer VR2600) as likely to be the best for our setup.
11) Was alerted on Black Friday of a good deal on this, so got it from Amazon.
12) Spent some days before the festive break trying (and failing) to see our House energy data via the Monitoring system.
13) Was appalled by lack of tech response on the TP-link “support” website, including several threads that seemed relevant to my issue(s).
Even via their Facebook messenger service, they didn’t seem to understand the value of public forum support posts to address issues that may affect multiple users.
14) Ploughed on in the midst of this, trying to set up reserved addresses for all the MAC units connected, if only to be able to identify each explicitly in the tables and to know how to address via IP, nomatter what.
15) Proved quite a slog, and was then outraged to find there was 32-unit limitation on the number of reservations it would allow to be made. Undocumented in the manual (and the error that came up got NO hits via Google  )
16) So, we have just sent the TP-link back because the Wifi performance was poor (cut out far more frequently than the Virgin SH3), the 5GHz channels often failed to report “being available” at all, their lack of making relevant responses on their support forum, and I couldn’t believe that a £150 unit had no LED indicators on the Ethernet sockets. Made it far more difficult to see if you’d got a connection.
17) So, after quite a bit of work, our choice did not fix any of the problems, and made some worse. Won’t be going to TP-link again

To summarise: We are seeking suggestions for an alternative WiFi router that should usefully extend the WiFi coverage, enable the fix of internal IP addresses to the connected units (47 so far), plus enable one unit to port-forward.
For the IP reserving, a quick & effective way of achieving this would really help.
I have a full list of my MAC addresses (plus one wired one I worryingly cannot identify!), and seek a setup process via a (preferably) single table allowing a “friendly name” for a unit as well as the IP we wish to reserve for each.
Over to you.
PS We have no issue with throughput (yet!) and have looked at the Router Rankings/Charts, as well as the article for advice on choosing a wireless router.

i picked a BT ISP because virgin never gives good upload and for me thats important. Also the BT routers (5 and newer) are pretty good for basic use. UK homes arent big, they're small and narrow but have an attic and basement.

What you need isnt a wifi that is fast, but good range. Some would suggest a mesh of multiple APs wired together if possible, but knowing the size of UK homes (unless you give a 2D measurement) all you need is good placement and signals that go through brick walls.

Infact tp link can be good with 3rd party firmware when it comes to wifi.

There are so many to choose from, every brand has its flaws. Just avoid dlink and you cant expect really good wifi range/performance unless you have the skill to use 3rd party firmware and do all the setup needed.

You could also try ubiquiti wifi products too. They arent routers but only APs.

Thanks for the response.
Upload isn't important for me and changing ISP could just change one set of problems for another set, with lots of work to deduce what they are.
>UK homes arent big, they're small and narrow but have an attic and basement.
Sweeping generalisation alert; you seem to be describing older terraced housing.
Not so ours, it is more like a USA house, over three floors.
[Floor area was 155 sq m (1670 sq ft), 255 sq m (2750 sq ft) after extension].

>What you need isnt a wifi that is fast, but good range.
Agree there.
What I'm after is first-hand experience of someone using such, pref on a Virgin system, but others really helpful too.
The TPLink AC2600(Archer VR2600) was cited by several as being the the right marque, but the
I had a sweep that someone would reply that I needed a Netgear RBK53 Orbi, but as per usual, I can't find any specs for the number of number of internal IP reservations it would allow to be made.
There was direct question about exactly this on the Netgear support website, but it only got one rather snotty response saying that they couldn't see any logic to wanting to make lots of reservations - which was not at all helpful.
Nor could I find any "ask a pre-sales question" form - it just threw me at the "support" website.

It's that sort of spec that seems that manufacturers are reluctant to share, and was darned annoying to find was insufficient on the TP-link; it was a fairly long-winded process to put in all the MAC addresses to then be summarily thrown out with an undocumented error/limitation. I can't afford to go through all the router models without some confidence I'm not wasting my time.

As for 3rd party firmware, I'm not going there. I have a mountain of other stuff to do; being forced into a non-supported regime just puts onus on me when I just want to get my other systems using the router to be stable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!