What's new

NVRAM [Release] NVRAM Save/Restore Utility

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great info, thanks!

In that case, what would be the best course of action to migrate from one router to another? (Moving from an RT-AC68U fw 386.9 to RT-AX86S fw 388.1)
Personally, when moving to a new router, I just take screenshots of all major Merlin UI screens that might need some special tweaking... or just to remember which switches I have flipped, and save them all in a Word docx. Then, on the new router, I just go down page by page, and manually duplicate the settings. Really, all-in-all, this exercise should not take more than 20mins -- including saving screenshots, and setting things back up on the new router.

Personally, when moving to a new router, I just take screenshots of all major Merlin UI screens that might need some special tweaking... or just to remember which switches I have flipped, and save them all in a Word docx. Then, on the new router, I just go down page by page, and manually duplicate the settings. Really, all-in-all, this exercise should not take more than 20mins -- including saving screenshots, and setting things back up on the new router.
Make sense, but what about the config related to OpenVPN? And the Manually Assigned IP around DHCP? I understand it's pretty simple for switches and the like but when it comes to specific config, this is where a tool like this one here could be very helpful.

Make sense, but what about the config related to OpenVPN? And the Manually Assigned IP around DHCP? I understand it's pretty simple for switches and the like but when it comes to specific config, this is where a tool like this one here could be very helpful.
I download a fresh .config from Nordvpn to populate in my vpn slots... and save the custom config text block in my word docx as well. Really, it all falls under the same process. I manually add the assigned DHCP addresses back in once my clients check back in after the new router settles in.

Last edited:
I download a fresh .config from Nordvpn to populate in my vpn slots... and save the custom config text block in my word docx as well. Really, it all falls under the same process. I manually add the assigned DHCP addresses back in once my client check back in after the new router settles in.
Oh well, I was hoping for an easy way out! On the other hand, doing it "manually" ensures that I won't have any mistake.

Thanks for your time on this!

What about this?

Thanks @Tech9, but I'd rather do it the more inconvenient way. :p

No seriously... nice find!

For ssh lovers like @Viktor Jaep:

Code:
nvram get dhcp_staticlist

The result is like this:

Code:
<D4:C9:EF:D4:EF:0E>192.168.50.12>><24:05:0F:9E:76:54>192.168.50.14>>

Then on the new router:

Code:
nvram set dhcp_staticlist="<D4:C9:EF:D4:EF:0E>192.168.50.12>><24:05:0F:9E:76:54>192.168.50.14>>"
nvram commit
reboot

Code:
nvram get dhcp_staticlist

The result is like this:

Code:
<D4:C9:EF:D4:EF:0E>192.168.50.12>><24:05:0F:9E:76:54>192.168.50.14>>

Then on the new router:

Code:
nvram set dhcp_staticlist="<D4:C9:EF:D4:EF:0E>192.168.50.12>><24:05:0F:9E:76:54>192.168.50.14>>"
nvram commit
reboot
That is even better (can't seem to find all 3 files in my nvram partition).

Let me ask you, are there any other setting like that, that I could export/import to ease up on the manual work?

That is even better

This one is for DHCP reservations only, but you lose custom names and icons. The files are in /jffs/nvram. Use WinSCP.

Let me ask you, are there any other setting like that, that I could export/import to ease up on the manual work?

Almost everything that was customized on the old router, but sometimes there are easier ways or the transfer is not really necessary.

Code:
.%%%%%%..............%%..%%..%%..%%%%%%...%%%%...%%%%%...%%%%%%..%%...............%%%%....%%%%...%%..%%.
...%%..............%%....%%..%%..%%......%%..%%..%%..%%....%%......%%............%%......%%......%%..%%.
...%%............%%......%%%%%%..%%%%....%%%%%%..%%%%%.....%%........%%...........%%%%....%%%%...%%%%%%.
...%%..............%%....%%..%%..%%......%%..%%..%%..%%....%%......%%................%%......%%..%%..%%.
.%%%%%%..............%%..%%..%%..%%%%%%..%%..%%..%%..%%....%%....%%...............%%%%....%%%%...%%..%%.
........................................................................................................

I have optimized your code:

Code:
%%%%%%....%%..%%..%%%%..%%%%%%.%%%%%%....%%%%..%%%%..%%..%%
..%%......%%..%%.%%..%%...%%...%%.......%%....%%.....%%..%%
..%%......%%%%%%.%%%%%%...%%...%%%%%.....%%%%..%%%%..%%%%%%
..%%......%%..%%.%%..%%...%%...%%...........%%....%%.%%..%%
%%%%%%....%%..%%.%%..%%...%%...%%%%%%....%%%%..%%%%..%%..%%

:)

I still stand by YazDHCP, One click and the dhcp settings are saved.

And you have a nice Excel spreadsheet that you can print ;-)

A pretty much silly question: Is it safe to use this NVRAM utility? Is the utility still actively maintained? In case I use it to save the settings of my router in a file, then would it be possible to factory default, do some other tests and then restore all settings from file? Would the restore be successful ? I am asking this because in AMTM it shows as deprecated.
amtm refuses installation of this NVRAM utility on firmware newer than 384.19.

Hi, I was wondering if there is any way to export the nvram dump and save it as a .txt file to the USB stick using this? Thank you for your help!

Hi, I was wondering if there is any way to export the nvram dump and save it as a .txt file to the USB stick using this? Thank you for your help!
This script is obsolete and unsupported.

You can dump the nvram contents using nvram show and redirecting the output to a file of your choosing. e.g.
Code:
nvram show > /tmp/mnt/TOSHIBA1/Asus/myfile.txt

This script is obsolete and unsupported.

You can dump the nvram contents using nvram show and redirecting the output to a file of your choosing. e.g.
Code:
nvram show > /tmp/mnt/TOSHIBA1/Asus/myfile.txt
Hi Colin,
Thank you for your reply. Could you give me an example of the address I can use, please? I did manage to get that command from ChatGPT, but it wasn't doing a good job when I asked it to show me how to save it to my computer. I created a shared folder called "Share" on my E drive, then I tried
nvram show > /tmp/mnt/E/Share/nvram_dump.txt
But it doesn't work. Could you let me know what command should I use to make it work? Thank you and I wish you Happy New Year :)

Hi Colin,
Thank you for your reply. Could you give me an example of the address I can use, please? I did manage to get that command from ChatGPT, but it wasn't doing a good job when I asked it to show me how to save it to my computer. I created a shared folder called "Share" on my E drive, then I tried

But it doesn't work. Could you let me know what command should I use to make it work? Thank you and I wish you Happy New Year :)
The command I posted was an example from my own router.

You do realise that you have to run that command after logging into the router using SSH? And that your USB drive needs to be plugged into the router, not your PC.

This script hasn't been updated in years, and hasn't been compatible with any firmware released over the past few years. Time to put this one out to pasture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!