What's new

[RELEASE] WXMON v1.1.4 -Feb 7, 2024- Localized Weather Monitoring, extended forecasts, including aviation METARs and TAFs! (US/Global!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

After needing to make some fixes to the way that aviationweather.gov changed its API calls, I decided it's finally time to bring this out of perpetual beta. This is what I consider a "what is possible" kind-of script... Categorized under "Smart Home", purely for fun, pulling weather data from various sources, extracting data from XML and displaying it in a semi-orderly fashion within an SSH window on your router! ENJOY!

What's new!?
v0.5 - (January 15, 2024)
* MAJOR:
Official release! It's been a long time coming. Please know this is just a "what is possible" kind of script. It serves no purpose other than seeing what can be done with API weather feeds, extracting data from XML and displaying it in an orderly fashion on the screen. Purely for enjoyment, if you'd rather get your local weather in an SSH window on your router vs. one of the many old, tired web-based weather services/apps out there. ;)
* FIXED: aviationweather.gov recently decided to change their API methods, and had to make some fixes in order to get the Aviation weather working again. Decided it was time to freshen things up, get this out of beta, and on the streets!
* FIXED: After update, script will automatically run with the new version instead of having to exit out and run the script again.
* MINOR: General enhancements to overall look & feel, bringing it under the same standards as BACKUPMON at this point.

Download Link:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/WXMON/master/wxmon-0.5.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:

1705332891245.png

After needing to make some fixes to the way that aviationweather.gov changed its API calls, I decided it's finally time to bring this out of perpetual beta. This is what I consider a "what is possible" kind-of script... Categorized under "Smart Home", purely for fun, pulling weather data from various sources, extracting data from XML and displaying it in a semi-orderly fashion within an SSH window on your router! ENJOY!

What's new!?
* MAJOR:
Official release! It's been a long time coming. Please know this is just a "what is possible" kind of script. It serves no purpose other than seeing what can be done with API weather feeds, extracting data from XML and displaying it in an orderly fashion on the screen. Purely for enjoyment, if you'd rather get your local weather in an SSH window on your router vs. one of the many old, tired web-based weather services/apps out there. ;)
* FIXED: aviationweather.gov recently decided to change their API methods, and had to make some fixes in order to get the Aviation weather working again. Decided it was time to freshen things up, get this out of beta, and on the streets!
* FIXED: After update, script will automatically run with the new version instead of having to exit out and run the script again.
* MINOR: General enhancements to overall look & feel, bringing it under the same standards as BACKUPMON at this point.

Download Link:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/WXMON/master/wxmon-0.5.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:

View attachment 55547
Will this be added to amtm at some point?

What's new!?
* MAJOR:

Download Link:
Code:

Significant Screenshots:

View attachment 55547
My Aviation WX appears to be blank using ROME (Rome NY USA). Any thoughts or suggestions?
Code:
   _       ___  __ __  _______  _   __
  | |     / / |/ //  |/  / __ \/ | / /  v0.5
  | | /| / /|   // /|_/ / / / /  |/ / (S)etup (F)orce Refresh
  | |/ |/ //   |/ /  / / /_/ / /|  / (A)viation WX
  |__/|__//_/|_/_/  /_/\____/_/ |_/ (E)xit

ROME Flight Rules                          

Current Conditions:

ROME METAR                              

ROME TAF                              

(R)eturn to standard forecast?

My Aviation WX appears to be blank using ROME (Rome NY USA). Any thoughts or suggestions?
Code:

ROME Flight Rules                          

Current Conditions:

ROME METAR                              

ROME TAF                              

Try KRME... that's the airport code

Code:

ROME Flight Rules                        

Current Conditions:

ROME METAR                            

ROME TAF                            

Just Google for your local airport's ICAO code (for me Leeds-Bradford, UK is LBA EGNM).

Last edited:
Will this be added to amtm at some point?

Nah, I wouldn't want it taking up precious space for scripts that are truly useful/important. :)

Just Google for your local airport's ICAO code (for me Leeds-Bradford, UK is LBA EGNM).

Yep... Airport codes are typically always 4 letters. All major airports in the US start with "K". All major airports in the UK start with "E". But it definitely needs to be a valid ICAO code. Smaller airports that don't conform to the ICAO code may not provide weather through the API. If you're not getting weather from your local airport, try the next bigger closest airport to you.

Coupla small tweaks and versioning change... and a major versioning do-over from v0.5! :)

What's new?
v1.1.4 - (February 7, 2024)
- PATCH:
Changed the versioning logic to align with the general accepted way of versioning, using the notation: major.minor.patch... finally, right? After seeing @thelonelycoder changing his ways, I figured it was probably time for me as well. All my scripts moving forward will go this route. Change log wording is now changed to conform to the major/minor/patch standards. So previously, FIXED now conforms to PATCH, ADDED conforms to MINOR, and MAJOR stays the same!
- PATCH: Going to call a do-over on the versioning of v0.5. Technically an official release, so MAJOR: 1, MINOR: 1, PATCH: 4 based on the changelog between Jan 15 and Feb 7. Welcome to v1.1.4! :)

Download link (or update directly within WXMON!):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/WXMON/master/wxmon-1.1.4.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh"

@Viktor Jaep

Possible Suggestion for enhancement, in the (A)viation WX would you consider breaking the METAR down into human readable format in addition to what's already there?

Also, is it possible to change the Airport ICAO code in Aviation WX? This would be really useful for anyone that uses Microsoft Flight Simulator.

For your consideration...

Last edited:
@Viktor Jaep

Possible Suggestion for enhancement, in the (A)viation WX would you consider breaking the METAR down into human readable format in addition to what's already there?

Also, is it possible to change the Airport ICAO code in Aviation WX? This would be really useful for anyone that uses Microsoft Flight Simulator.

For your consideration...

Unfortunately the information I get from the aviation weather API sources don't provide it in human readable format. What you see is what you get. But isn't that half the fun? Gives you good practice for learning how to read these. ;) But yeah, you can change the ICAO code in the setup menu to whichever airport you want. If you don't get weather information back (for smaller uncontrolled fields), you probably want to choose the nearest larger airport.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!