What's new

Reliable Connection to router through PPTP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

threehappypenguins

New Around Here
I have searched Google for hours and hours and days and days and I can't find a solution.

I have set up a PPTP server connection so I can connect to a DD-WRT router remotely. I have set up the connection on my computer by using the "Connect to a Workplace" feature in Windows 8. I was having trouble browsing the internet, so I did the following to the properties on my side:

Right-clicked on the VPN connection > View connection properties > Networking (tab) then highlighted TCP IPv4 and clicked on Properties > Advanced (I have tried it both with leaving the default IPv6 settings and changing it to the same as IPv4)

I UNchecked "Use default gateway on remote network" then went to the DNS tab and checked off "Register this connection's addresses in DNS." (I have tried it both with it being checked and unchecked; same problem with connecting to the router).

That seemed to do the trick and I can browse the internet to test the OpenDNS settings that I have implemented on that network.

However, I cannot get a reliable connection to the router. It's only intermittent connection. I've tried everything. I've tried optimizing my MTU, tried creating a registry for tunnelMTU, and tried resetting the router remotely through telnet.

Sometimes I can ping 192.168.1.1, and when I can, I have tried the following:

telnet 192.168.1.1

Then when it connects to telnet:

root (username) xxxxx (password)

Then I type 'reboot' (without quotations). It reboots the router (I think? It says connection lost right after I do that, so I assume so), and still same problem. I NEVER have a problem connecting through VPN. It always connects without a problem. And I can browse the internet too. Just can't connect to the router reliably. I can't connect for most of the day. If I type 192.168.1.1 it just sits there forever and then won't connect to it.

So I have to connect, telnet it, if it starts timing out, I disconnect, then connect again, telnet it again; if it starts timing out again I disconnect again... you get the idea. I have to sit there doing it over and over again until I can telnet in. Then I can *usually* access the router from my browser if I can telnet in there.

One other thing I just tried today was I went into regedit and I changed IPEnableRouter from 0 to 1. Didn't seem to make a difference. Then I tried to add a static IP route (I had no idea what I was doing). I couldn't get it to work at first, but then I typed: route add publicipaddress(ofremotecomp) mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.1 metric 1. Then it said "Ok!" Didn't seem to make a difference either.

Please help! I want to also be able to map a network drive, but I can never find anything on my network. I assume it's because I can't get a reliable connection to the router?