What's new

Remodeling home network,need opinion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AndreAPL

New Around Here
Hi there. I now have a speedtouch 516v6 + dlink 2100ap, but need better wireless range.
One of the machine's is connecting at 15-20% and because it's using super-g and a atheros pen (with a ralink rt2500 pen can't even detect).
Now, i wonder if i should buy a router (supporting super-g) and move the ap to spread signal buying for example Dink DGL-4300 for routing ... or change to a normal (and cheaper) like Dlink DIR-300.This networks is connect by 2 desktops (one with super-g device), 3laptop's and use's some p2p/torrent (nothing agressive), and frequent web browsing (mail's, videos)

What should i do?
thanks

bigger antenna an option?

You might also consider adding another router to your network as an access point - I know some of the routers that support the DD-WRT firmware can be had for pretty cheap (IE the WRT54GL) - $50-$70.

Hi there. Thanks for the answer's.

A bigger antenna could be a option, but for that price i get where a router like dir-300, and the signal maybe will be not so that good? I have mine and the machine it now 20% signal in opposite side's of the house and different floors.
I've already optimized coverage, thanks for the link. It not i couldn't have that signal :) will read the rest of the article. Already on the toppest i can (in top of a desk hutch).
Since i can't move my actual router (because will get better signal in the (actual) worst and in mine will get worst (are in oposite sides of the house and different floor's) and it's the better spot for adsl modem...
i'm considering or getting a normal g router like dir-300, replace 2100ap, and getting this one as wds/repeater. Or maybe a super-g router (used) if it is worth...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!