What's new

Remote connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anita

New Around Here
I am interested in the question. How is RDP different from VPN when it comes to connecting to a computer remotely? Which do you prefer to use?

RDP is Remote Desktop Protocol. It's primary purpose is to allow users to access the desktop of a remote Windows PC. Even though RDP traffic is encrypted it should not be used directly over the internet.

A VPN is a secure network connection between two devices. If you want to access a PC from a remote location you should use a VPN. Once the VPN connection is established you can then use RDP (or any other service) to access the remote resources through the VPN.

See Google and Wikipedia for more details.

In spite of the fact that VPN and RDP are both offer remote secure connections to files on remote desktops VPN and RDP are different tools. There are differences in the remote connection, for example if you need to use a printer/scanner on a remote computer, it will be harder with a VPN. There are also other things https://www.helpwire.app/blog/remote-desktop-vs-vpn/ see.

for example if you need to use a printer/scanner on a remote computer, it will be harder with a VPN.
Not in today's world. With a VPN, I can connect from anywhere in the world and access ANY device on my home network with not additional configuration other than establishing the VPN connection itself. And it's a fully secure link. All my "device" such as printers, scanners, NAS, etc are all separate devices directly connected to the LAN, not that that makes any real difference. Having an RDP just adds a boatload of additional hassle and unnecessary overhead and requires having an PC sitting there waiting for said remote connection. *I* don't need any of that and the last time I used an RDP type connection has to be at least 20 years ago. I do remote access and remote support as part of my job for 30 years :)

RDP should never be anything other than a layer on top of a VPN, and only when you actually need access to that desktop (showing someone how to change something for example), not for device connectivity.

Having an RDP just adds a boatload of additional hassle and unnecessary overhead and requires having an PC sitting there waiting for said remote connection.
Some applications are pretty much unusable over VPN, particularly databases. For instance, the accounting software I use - opening an existing invoice would take 15-20 seconds over OpenVPN when accessing the accounting database over VPN. Doing it through RDP makes it near instantaneous (less than a second).