What's new

Remote Desktop Access via VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have the same VPN settings, except I have "only user/password authentication" to yes

Surely you are not recommending reducing the OpenVPN Server authentication to only a simple User/password? :eek:

upload_2019-7-12_11-24-45.png

I use TightVNC on remote Win10 clients on a LAN I manage via OpenVPN on Asus. No problems...

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Thank u !!
Just testet it ad put these command in shell. Now everything seem to work.
After that i disconnect VPN and reconnect.
Then try to RDP to my VM, but got the same error - can not find my VM :(

Sorry - i am just at work and have not enough time.
I will test it little more in the evening. Thank you very much so far @eibgrad
I will report back later with a feedback !!

IIRC, when you reinitialize the OpenVPN client, it resets the firewall, so I would expect anything you added manually to be lost. As I said, ultimately this rule needs to be added to the nat-start script.

If you use Putty, you can copy+paste (right-click) the following script into the terminal window and it should create the nat-start script for you.

Code:
SCRIPTS_DIR="/jffs/scripts"
SCRIPT="$SCRIPTS_DIR/nat-start"

mkdir -p $SCRIPT_DIR

cat << "EOF" > $SCRIPT
#!/bin/sh
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -s 10.8.0.0/24 -o br0 -j SNAT --to $(nvram get lan_ipaddr)
exit 0
EOF

chmod +x $SCRIPT

IIRC, when you reinitialize the OpenVPN client, it resets the firewall, so I would expect anything you added manually to be lost. As I said, ultimately this rule needs to be added to the nat-start script.

If you use Putty, you can copy+paste (right-click) the following script into the terminal window and it should create the nat-start script for you.
Just tried and put your command in my shell (on android phone). It worked and created the nat-start script :)
Then i restart the router and cant connect VPN, due to some DNS problems... :eek:
After changing the VPN Server settings "Advertise DNS to clients" to NO, i can connect via VPN without problem.

BUT connectet to VPN, i still cannot reach the Virutal Machine on my LAN (it is a fresh Win10 Pro install)
I really get crazy with that...

Do you need any further information from my Settings to help?
What else can i do?

Maybe i should give TightVNC a try?! :(

Just tried and put your command in my shell (on android phone). It worked and created the nat-start script :)
Then i restart the router and cant connect VPN, due to some DNS problems... :eek:
After changing the VPN Server settings "Advertise DNS to clients" to NO, i can connect via VPN without problem.

BUT connectet to VPN, i still cannot reach the Virutal Machine on my LAN (it is a fresh Win10 Pro install)
I really get crazy with that...

Do you need any further information from my Settings to help?
What else can i do?

Maybe i should give TightVNC a try?! :(

Doesn't make sense given you said the rule worked manually, at least once. Something else seems amiss.

Dump the POSTROUTING chain of the nat table and verify the rule is in place and working (it should show some pkts and bytes).

Code:
iptables -t nat -vnL POSTROUTING

Surely you are not recommending reducing the OpenVPN Server authentication to only a simple User/password? :eek:
We've had this conversation before. I think the bigger problem is that the router admin can login unless the client connect script has your addition locking them out.

"And stop calling me Shirley".

Doesn't make sense given you said the rule worked manually, at least once. Something else seems amiss.
I didn't get my RDP via VPN to work...

Dump the POSTROUTING chain of the nat table and verify the rule is in place and working (it should show some pkts and bytes).
Code:
iptables -t nat -vnL POSTROUTING

Here is the output of your command from inside my LAN:
Code:
iptables -t nat
 -vnL POSTROUTING
Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 5148 packets, 340K bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
 3334  516K MASQUERADE  all  --  *      tun11   192.168.1.0/24       0.0.0.0/0
   18  1448 SNAT       all  --  *      br0     10.8.0.0/24          0.0.0.0/0            to:192.168.1.1
 6500 1617K PUPNP      all  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
 1751 1298K MASQUERADE  all  --  *      eth0   !IP of my ISP         0.0.0.0/0
  138 24035 MASQUERADE  all  --  *      br0     192.168.1.0/24       192.168.1.0/24

And here the output when connected via VPN:
Code:
Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 5280 packets, 349K bytes)
 3392  523K MASQUERADE  all  --  *      tun11   192.168.1.0/24       0.0.0.0/0
   18  1448 SNAT       all  --  *      br0     10.8.0.0/24          0.0.0.0/0            to:192.168.1.1
 6688 1659K PUPNP      all  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
 1811 1332K MASQUERADE  all  --  *      eth0   !IP of my ISP         0.0.0.0/0
  141 24545 MASQUERADE  all  --  *      br0     192.168.1.0/24       192.168.1.0/24

I didn't get my RDP via VPN to work...

Here is the output of your command from inside my LAN:
Code:
iptables -t nat
 -vnL POSTROUTING
Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 5148 packets, 340K bytes)
 3334  516K MASQUERADE  all  --  *      tun11   192.168.1.0/24       0.0.0.0/0
 6500 1617K PUPNP      all  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
 1751 1298K MASQUERADE  all  --  *      eth0   !IP of my ISP         0.0.0.0/0
  138 24035 MASQUERADE  all  --  *      br0     192.168.1.0/24       192.168.1.0/24

And here the output when connected via VPN:
Code:
Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 5280 packets, 349K bytes)
 3392  523K MASQUERADE  all  --  *      tun11   192.168.1.0/24       0.0.0.0/0
 6688 1659K PUPNP      all  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
 1811 1332K MASQUERADE  all  --  *      eth0   !IP of my ISP         0.0.0.0/0
  141 24545 MASQUERADE  all  --  *      br0     192.168.1.0/24       192.168.1.0/24

Well I see the NAT rule is there, and even has some hits (18 pkts). So that's a good sign. But I still don't understand how it supposedly worked one time (when added manually), now it doesn't. Beyond me.

[
Just testet it ad put these command in shell. Now everything seem to work.
I meant the command in the shell...

Because of that:
eibgrad said:
Oops, made a syntax error. Left out the "--to". Corrected above and below.

But my RDP via VPN never worked...

Anyway I really really thank u for your efforts. Maybe I will have to use Google's Chrome Remote Desktop :(

Okay... I got VNC Server installed on my Virtual Machine :)

It works as long as I am in my LAN.
When outside my network, I have to activate the option "Cloud connecting" in VNC Server to establish a connection.
okay - this seems logical.

But even if I am connected to my VPN Server, VNC want to have cloud connection activated... otherwise i can not establish a connection.

So WTF ??!?

PLEASE: does anyone have a Win10 Pro machine and can establish a VPN connection for RDP or VNC Server?
I do NOT want to controll my Win10 Pro via normal Internet...
But every time I use VPN something get wrong and I cannot connect property :(

When outside my network, I have to activate the option "Cloud connecting" in VNC Server to establish a connection.

But even if I am connected to my VPN Server, VNC want to have cloud connection activated... otherwise i can not establish a connection.

So WTF ??!?

PLEASE: does anyone have a Win10 Pro machine and can establish a VPN connection for RDP or VNC Server?
Yeah, Home is cloud only, but cloud is encrypted end-to-end so while it wouldn't necessarily use your vpn (it should because peer-to-peer), it's still secure.

As for RDP not working over VPN, I have no idea what you're doing wrong as it works for me.

So WTF ??!?

My guess is running Windows on a VM is the problem. Should be a way to give a second ip address to Windows. I have no problems connecting to vnc clients over VPN. I even connect to an off site client that connects to the router via vpn!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

So WTF ??!?

What is the relationship between the guest VM (Windows) and the host in terms of the networking? Normally using a VM, you can either have the VM bridged or routed between the guest VM and host, and that itself will affect your ability to access the VM.