What's new

Repeater Bridge with Dedicated Backhaul (like Netgear Orbi Satellite)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Network Novice

New Around Here
After reading the largely positive reviews on the Netgear Orbi system, I ordered one from Costco, which seems to be exclusive vendor of the 3 unit kit. By the way, this kit is currently $450 ($50 off). As I wait for the order to arrive, I am thinking:

I have several dual-band wireless routers: Cisco E4200, Asus RT-N66U, and Asus RT-AC68U. Currently the first two are used as wireless bridges while the last is used as a wireless router. All three can run DD-WRT. DD-WRT has a Repeater Bridge mode whereby the device can be setup to function as both a wireless bridge and an access point. Is it possible (either through DD-WRT or any other firmware) to setup the Repeater Bridge such that: (1) the wireless bridge only uses the 5G band, and (2) the access point only uses the 2.4Ghz band?

If I understand correctly, this is essentially what the Orbi satellite does, except: (1) the wireless bridge only uses the high 5GHz band, and (2) the access point uses both the low 5GHz band and the 2.4 GHz band.

Orbi has three radios:
- 4x4 5 GHz high band dedicated to backhaul
- 2x2 5 GHz low band for client
- 2x2 2.4 GHz for client

I don't know the answer to your question for dual-radio routers.

However, many people have explored using "tri-band" (AC3200 / AC5400 class) routers to make a cheaper Orbi.
However, these routers don't support using one radio for bridge and the others for client connect.

Thanks for your quick reply. I guess if using a multiple off-the-shelf dual-band or tri-band routers to emulate the Orbi setup is possible, it would have been done already. Maybe I should start a gofundme for a custom DD-WRT firmware.

Thanks for your quick reply. I guess if using a multiple off-the-shelf dual-band or tri-band routers to emulate the Orbi setup is possible, it would have been done already. Maybe I should start a gofundme for a custom DD-WRT firmware.
Actually, it has been done already...a lot. Netgear already makes the equipment to perform the type of setup you are talking about. Orbi is being sold because the configuration you're referencing is too complex for the average user. It would take a networking profession to configure the devices in the correct manner to turn them into a mesh network. This type of network is typically reserved for the business world. You're right about configuring the wireless routers in repeater mode, it does the same thing. The Orbi product is not meant for anyone who understands that.

Actually, it has been done already...a lot. Netgear already makes the equipment to perform the type of setup you are talking about. Orbi is being sold because the configuration you're referencing is too complex for the average user. It would take a networking profession to configure the devices in the correct manner to turn them into a mesh network. This type of network is typically reserved for the business world. You're right about configuring the wireless routers in repeater mode, it does the same thing. The Orbi product is not meant for anyone who understands that.

To follow SmallNetBuilder's vernacular, I am not looking to setup a wireless mesh network. (Mesh being a setup where the repeater bridges can talk directly to each other rather than only to a central router like in the Netgear Orbi setup.) I am exploring whether there is any firmware (DD-WRT, Tomato, etc.) that would allow one to duplicate the Netgear Orbi. This would involve using one or more off-the-shelf routers, each with two or more bands (or radios) as wireless repeater bridges, with one band dedicated to backhaul (for communicating with a central router) and the other band(s) dedicated to providing an access point (for communicating with wireless clients).

I cannot duplicate a commercial wireless setup, e.g., with a router and multiple Ubiquiti UniFi APs, because (1) it's just to hard to run Cat6 in my house, and (2) I am not a networking guru.

To follow SmallNetBuilder's vernacular, I am not looking to setup a wireless mesh network. (Mesh being a setup where the repeater bridges can talk directly to each other rather than only to a central router like in the Netgear Orbi setup.) I am exploring whether there is any firmware (DD-WRT, Tomato, etc.) that would allow one to duplicate the Netgear Orbi. This would involve using one or more off-the-shelf routers, each with two or more bands (or radios) as wireless repeater bridges, with one band dedicated to backhaul (for communicating with a central router) and the other band(s) dedicated to providing an access point (for communicating with wireless clients).

I cannot duplicate a commercial wireless setup, e.g., with a router and multiple Ubiquiti UniFi APs, because (1) it's just to hard to run Cat6 in my house, and (2) I am not a networking guru.
The Orbi system actually creates a hybrid network. It's clever marketing that makes it seem like it's something unique, but it's not at all. The mesh network only applies to the way access points communicate with each other. Each repeater uses the third band (essentially rendering the consumer network dual band) to make sure communication between nodes is fast and reliable. Not only can you do this with off the shelf routers, Netgear makes a number of wireless access points that already function in the exact same manner. My reference to commercial wireless setups was simply to note these devices are sold under the section dedicated to commercial networking, but the configuration is something that can be done yourself. It's all a matter of knowledge. If you're willing to go the DD-WRT route, you should be comfortable setting up a networking with multiple repeaters.

Actually, it seems that the latest mega version of the firmware for my Cisco E4200, i.e., dd-wrt.v24-21061_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv60k.bin, allows the two radios to be set in different modes. I will explore setting one as a Client Bridge and the other as an Access Point, to see if I can emulate the Orbi setup. I did not see this because I flashed it with the mini version.

After reading the largely positive reviews on the Netgear Orbi system, I ordered one from Costco, which seems to be exclusive vendor of the 3 unit kit. By the way, this kit is currently $450 ($50 off). As I wait for the order to arrive, I am thinking:

I have several dual-band wireless routers: Cisco E4200, Asus RT-N66U, and Asus RT-AC68U. Currently the first two are used as wireless bridges while the last is used as a wireless router. All three can run DD-WRT. DD-WRT has a Repeater Bridge mode whereby the device can be setup to function as both a wireless bridge and an access point. Is it possible (either through DD-WRT or any other firmware) to setup the Repeater Bridge such that: (1) the wireless bridge only uses the 5G band, and (2) the access point only uses the 2.4Ghz band?

If I understand correctly, this is essentially what the Orbi satellite does, except: (1) the wireless bridge only uses the high 5GHz band, and (2) the access point uses both the low 5GHz band and the 2.4 GHz band.

Be warned. MANY users on Netgears community including myself have been fighting Netgear support to release a firmware patch to fix wifi constantly dropping devices for the last 6 months. The orbi is a great system if it was stable. It is fast. I returned mine finally and went to Eero and have no regrets. It maybe not as fast, but if it's not stable, speed is not everything.

See the netgear community here and just read through the pages of topics about wifi disconnects. Support knows about the issue and has been working with many with debug logs and other things trying to resolve it.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-System/ct-p/home-orbi