What's new

Repeater setting requirements

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kashifmax

New Around Here
Hi,
I hope that the community is doing well.

Recently I bought a Tenda router that has a repeater mode among other features. For easiness lets consider this scenario.

3 Tplink routers. SSID: CUP.

1 Tenda router. Set repeater mode and connected to CUP

For more coverage, same CUP SSID is set in Tenda.

Question. Will it effect the repeater mode. Or should I set different name in Tplink for repeater mode to work perfectly.

What is the best way. Advice needed.

Thank you

Hi,
I hope that the community is doing well.

Recently I bought a Tenda router that has a repeater mode among other features. For easiness lets consider this scenario.

3 Tplink routers. SSID: CUP.

1 Tenda router. Set repeater mode and connected to CUP

For more coverage, same CUP SSID is set in Tenda.

Question. Will it effect the repeater mode. Or should I set different name in Tplink for repeater mode to work perfectly.

What is the best way. Advice needed.

Thank you

Same SSID, most repeaters actually don't let you set a separate one, the ones that do are more advanced but there really isn't any reason to unless you want to force certain devices to only use one or the other.

Same SSID, most repeaters actually don't let you set a separate one, the ones that do are more advanced but there really isn't any reason to unless you want to force certain devices to only use one or the other.
Thank you very much for your quick reply.
Yes you are correct. There are some routers that allow up to 2 or more different SSIDs for example Unifi pro.
So your advice is that same CUP SSID should be used across all routers and repeaters.
Thank you

Thank you very much for your quick reply.
Yes you are correct. There are some routers that allow up to 2 or more different SSIDs for example Unifi pro.
So your advice is that same CUP SSID should be used across all routers and repeaters.
Thank you

Most routers allow multiple SSIDs (main and guest, or in the case of high end ones like Unifi, as many of each kind as you want). Repeaters (or router in repeater mode) usually keep the SSID or allow you to add _EXT to it. Some do allow you to totally customize it.

But unless you have a reason to want them separate, just keep the same one. One case I did separate them was with someone's Blink camera system that needed an extender/repeater for one camera. We did not want anything else connecting to that extender, and since blink automatically allows SSID or SSID_EXT I put the _EXT on the repeater so only the blink camera would use it.

Tenda is cheap router, it will only work fully if its tri band. For dual band, you are limited to only 1 band as the other band will be used as backhaul. Eg, in repeater mode i don't think you can use tenda 5ghz as wireless backhaul to tplink router and at the same time set this tenda 5ghz same ssid as tplink router, only 2.4ghz can set to same ssid as tplink router.

Thank you all guys,
Tenda router is AC1200 DualBand Wifi Gigabit Modelv12
But wireless repeater (Upstream SSID) didn't work because its not getting IP.
Anyway I'll look around in settings.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!