What's new

Replace AC-88U into AX-82U wisely decision?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dijkstra88

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

At the moment I have an AX-88U router and an AC-88U in AP mode via Imesh. The AC-88U is wired in the attic via UTP from the AX-88U downstairs, so the laptop connects via WiFi. I have a fiber optic connection of 1Gbit up and down. For my work I spend at least 8 hours a day behind a computer screen and meetings via team. Minimum 9 per day. My work laptop has an Intel AX-201 WiFi adapter, so it can handle WiFi 6 protocol. The AX-88U is located downstairs in the living room. My work laptop is in the attic, as me and my girlfriend both work from home. The work laptop is therefore connected via WiFi and therefore does not use the WiFi 6 protocol.

My girlfriend's work laptop also has the AX-201 build into her laptop and is paired with the AX-88U. We change places every other day.

In addition, my game pc is also in the attic and is wired connected via the AC-88U. Because of this I get the full 1Gbit connection. (including downloading via newsgr.) Via Wifi this is only half (500mbit up and down max. As a telephone, I and my girlfriend use an iPhone 12 Pro Max that can also handle WiFi 6 protocol.

My question, is it wise to replace the AC-88U with the AX-82U in the attic? The AX-82U does support the Wifi 6 and has slightly faster arm CPU. Not sure if the WiFi speed will also improve while on the attic as it supports WiFi 6. I plan to also run Rmerlin software on AX-82U (adblock etc). The AX-88U already has Rmerlin.

Wifi 6E is around the door, but my experience is that, just like with Wifi 6 as an early adapter, you get many early adaptor problems. I also had this with the AX-88U at the beginning. Wifi 6E will also become cheaper later, as the latest Asus router costs more than EUR500.00. One year would pass at least before Wifi 6E becomes affordable.

Please provide your input.

Thanks in advance,
KR,

IF the 88 system is working for you and nothing is wrong, I would keep what you have. Wifi speeds are based on environment, device support and design. Some 2x2 devices won't see much near 900Mpbs. 4x4 devices have a better chance. Also OFDMA support can be a factor. I've seen near 900Mpbs with my 12 Max phone with a D-Link DIR-LX1870 system. It supports OFDMA as well.

Seems like the 82U would be a small step down.

The 88U supports higher connection rates and also has a Broadcom CPU:
4804 Mbps max PHY rate for the 160MHz wide 5GHz channel,• 1148 Mbps max. PHY rate for the 40MHz wide 2.4GHz channel = AX6000 class
Also supports full 4x4 MIMO

While the 82U has lesser connection rates and a Intel (Lantiq) CPU supposedly:
2402 Mbps - 2SS 5GHz 802.11ax (160MHz chan.),• 574 Mbps - 2SS 2.4GHz 802.11ax (40MHz chan.) = AX5400 class
Has Mixed 2x2 and 4x4 MIMO

IF the 88 system is working for you and nothing is wrong, I would keep what you have. Wifi speeds are based on environment, device support and design. Some 2x2 devices won't see much near 900Mpbs. 4x4 devices have a better chance. Also OFDMA support can be a factor. I've seen near 900Mpbs with my 12 Max phone with a D-Link DIR-LX1870 system. It supports OFDMA as well.

Seems like the 82U would be a small step down.

The 88U supports higher connection rates and also has a Broadcom CPU:
4804 Mbps max PHY rate for the 160MHz wide 5GHz channel,• 1148 Mbps max. PHY rate for the 40MHz wide 2.4GHz channel = AX6000 class
Also supports full 4x4 MIMO

While the 82U has lesser connection rates and a Intel (Lantiq) CPU supposedly:
2402 Mbps - 2SS 5GHz 802.11ax (160MHz chan.),• 574 Mbps - 2SS 2.4GHz 802.11ax (40MHz chan.) = AX5400 class
Has Mixed 2x2 and 4x4 MIMO
Thanks mate. The above comparison which you are making is based on the AX88U. I want to replace the 88U which is a Wifi 5 router on the attic in Imesh (AP) mode for the AX82U. The AX88U will be kept as main router.

Ah my bad. I got those two models mixed up. So I would presume if you swapped in a AX82U, it would help improve and provide AX support coverage. I might even better match up the AX88U with another 88U in mesh mode for best operation and performances...

Ah my bad. I got those two models mixed up. So I would presume if you swapped in a AX82U, it would help improve and provide AX support coverage. I might even better match up the AX88U with another 88U in mesh mode for best operation and performances...
No problem ;) Thanks, will then go for a AX82U and sell the AC-88U router, or put it also in Imesh as AP mode for in the garage.

Should work well for you. :)

:cool:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!