What's new

Replacement for RV-340

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jasonreg

Regular Contributor
So, just curious where folks are leaning as we get a bit closer to end of software releases for the RV-34X series. I am completely satisfied with the performance of the router (I use an RV-340) but am a bit uncomfortable using it much beyond the end of Oct. Still amazed that there is no planned replacement - still signs of COVID effects on manufacturing I am guessing.

I think there was a previous discussion thread on this but I could not find it . Anyway, curious what other RV-34X users are planning and why.

I have 3x RV345P routers in use with total of 16x WAP571 access points. I had LAN bandwidth issues recently and was exploring 2.5GbE options, but what I need is either not available, either with months delivery time. Since it's a running business, I had to solve the bandwidth issues in a software way. Later on my plan is to add Netgate 6100 firewalls, replace the routers with proper PoE switches and new PoE access points. Nothing Cisco in my upgrade plans.

I have 3x RV345P routers in use with total of 16x WAP571 access points. I had LAN bandwidth issues recently and was exploring 2.5GbE options, but what I need is either not available, either with months delivery time. Since it's a running business, I had to solve the bandwidth issues in a software way. Later on my plan is to add Netgate 6100 firewalls, replace the routers with proper PoE switches and new PoE access points. Nothing Cisco in my upgrade plans.
If you are having LAN issues it is because you are not running a Layer 3 switch. You should be able to push 20 to 100 gig on the backplane of a Cisco SG350 or X switch. It depends on the switch model. IF you want to run 64-byte packets it is a little less. If you want more bandwidth than 1 gig just run Lagg. You can run greater than 2.5 gig.

I recommend pfsense. If you cannot get an appliance from negate due to shortage, get a third party device with Intel ethernet, something like Protectli.

In my case it has to be Netgate appliance. It's a business setup, someone else may have to support it. DIY is an option at home.

You have to go with what fits your needs and budget. My situation is a bit different since I need to upgrade 3 networks in 3 different locations. They have to be all the same equipment for easier support.

If Cisco releases a replacement for their router, then I plan to buy all new Cisco including switches and wireless.

Otherwise, I will continue to run my current Cisco switches and wireless.

I'm putting this model from TP-Link on the list of possibilities: ER7206. It's an upgrade from model ER605.

Link: https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/omada-sdn-router/er7206/

But like others above I'll wait until Oct 2022 to see if Cisco offers a replacement.

Edit to add: The manual for the ER7206 shows a menu-like structure and options surprisingly similar to the RV-34x models. Glaring exception is hard-coded IPv6 prefix length set at 64.

Last edited:

GUI emulator:

This router requires Omada Controller for enhanced features.

More information here:

It's a capable router, but will work best if you have Omada system.

Looks like the same router. Firmware files are the same as well. When I tested ER605 it was called TL-R605. Different marketing model names, perhaps. SafeStream routers are Omada SND integrated products. They can be used as stand alone routers, but the functions marked with * in specifications are available only when Omada Controller is used. My issues with TL-R605 were: 1) some features marked with § are stand alone mode only; 2) it was a new product back then with initial firmware and some features unavailable; 3) a new hardware revision came shortly after, TP-Link fixed something quickly. ER605 is similar to Ubiquiti ER-X, ER7206 is like ER-4. In some applications they may give you excellent performance for low price.

Seven month old thread that I want to add to. I see a new TP-Link model that is worth discussion, ER8411, link to specs.

Cost is in the $ 300+ range, which makes it similar to the RV-345 345 POE models. It's speced for 10GB WAN with "Up to 10 WAN Ports", (I hate when technology marketing uses the words "up to"), redundant power supplies, and 2 GB IPsec VPN Throughput.

It looks to me that only one LAN port is 10 Gb, others are all 1 Gb.

Interesting. Not a bad price. Need to do some research on the Omada app. I cannot tell if this requires subscriptions to access any advanced security features or not....

This must be x86 hardware device - 4GB RAM and 1.7Gbps OpenVPN. Not a good option for home use with SFP ports though.

I also can't determine if the firewall is doing full stateful packet inspection. Also I also see configuration requires the "Omada App."

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online