What's new

Replacement Router for RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pdxrealtor

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I have been using the RT-N66U for several years along with one version or another of Merlin's firmware.

Im looking for a replacement with a bit better range and faster wifi for streaming.

This router works great for the most part. I would like to try a replacement/upgrade to see if I notice better performance and the disappearance of the little annoyances I think may be related to the router.

Would like another Asus router.
I stream all of my tv, basic internet, and phones/smart devices. One TV is hardwired the rest are wi fi.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Do you have any specific requirements for your new router, e.g. VPN.

What ISP internet speeds do you have (now and in the near future)?

If your needs are modest you could try an RT-AX56U.

The RT-AX56U would probably cover your needs then. If the Wi-Fi coverage/throughput wasn't sufficient you might have to go up to an RT-AX68U. If possible buy from a supplier that would let you return it after you've had a chance to test if it's not adequate.

I am currently using my venerable RT-N66U for the main router on a 500MHz ftth system and as I have just a few IoT devices which are slow and the remainder are on Ethernet, the "n" speeds are not an impediment. Nothing is forever and planning for the future, the RT-AX56U is my current favorite for price and features. The 55 would probably suffice but I use router USB for my pihole power and that seems to be absent on the 55.

EDIT: Just upgraded to Aug 31 John's Fork...without a hitch. Thanks again to John for keeping this old bird alive with frequent updates.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm a simpleton when it come to my home networking. I have a few hardwired devices - home security - unRaid box, TVs, and the typical things - phones, laptops.

I'll order up the least expensive of those two options to see how it works in comparison.

Would you all suggest the 2 or 3 antenna version? My house is single level 1300 sq ft. Property also has large shop and my current wi-fi is just enough to make data not work but still stay connected to the network vs. switching to the cell tower.

Would you all suggest the 2 or 3 antenna version? My house is single level 1300 sq ft. Property also has large shop and my current wi-fi is just enough to make data not work but still stay connected to the network vs. switching to the cell tower.
Having three antennas could make a difference which is why I said "you might have to go up to an RT-AX68U". But with WiFi everyone's situation is slightly different and nobody can say for sure. That's why you really need to test it for yourself. You might find that the cheaper option is more than good enough in which case there's no point buying the more expensive three antenna model.

Having three antennas could make a difference which is why I said "you might have to go up to an RT-AX68U". But with WiFi everyone's situation is slightly different and nobody can say for sure. That's why you really need to test it for yourself. You might find that the cheaper option is more than good enough in which case there's no point buying the more expensive three antenna model.
Thx. After more careful review I realized the 56u was a 2 antenna and the 68u was 3 antenna. I ordered the 56u.

Hi - I got the router connected and setup.... all seems well. Transition went smooth with the ability to transfer the settings over from my old NT66.

I've turned on the adaptive QOS but a side from that haven't touched any settings. I was wondering if anyone here knows the optimal settings for speed. I'm not much of a network guy. Just know enough to get my things working smoothly and that's about it.

I use my internet mainly for streaming TV (YouTube TV), music (nothing fancy), and web surfing. Once in a while I transfer larger files from my desktop to my server, but I am at gigabit speeds already for that. That's about it. Thanks for any tips. Updates as I have them.

Transition went smooth with the ability to transfer the settings over from my old NT66.
Just to be clear, when setting up your new router you must configure it by hand. In other words you must not take a "Save settings" backup file made on your old router and upload it to your new router. If you did this you must factory reset your router now and set it up again.

I was wondering if anyone here knows the optimal settings for speed.
The default settings should work well.

Just to be clear, when setting up your new router you must configure it by hand. In other words you must not take a "Save settings" backup file made on your old router and upload it to your new router. If you did this you must factory reset your router now and set it up again.

The default settings should work well.
Thx Colin - I've not had any issues so far using the backup file. I did find this suggested by others as well. I went through most of my easier devices and forgot all networks, then reconnected.

I wonder what would indicate I should do the full reset? I suppose if I have stability or other connection issues that would be a good indication.

Also didn't find such suggestion for settings. I found what looks to be a popular one on this website floating around and applied the settings to my router. This is the link - https://www.snbforums.com/threads/w...h-ax88u-as-the-root-router.68483/#post-642251

I found a nice list of settings to modify, which I did. One of them was turning off the QOS. Another one that comes to mind is setting all laptops/phones/TVs to 5g and left all the other items like smart devices and printers on 2.4.

I also realized my isp is fiber, 200/200 but I'm only getting 100/100 because they still have me connected via co-ax. A tech is coming out tomorrow to replace with Ethernet so 200/200 should be working tomorrow.

Thx Colin - I've not had any issues so far using the backup file. I did find this suggested by others as well.
The N66U has completely different hardware/firmware to your new router. Loading it's settings will result in a sub-optimal setup. Don't waste time trying optimise a bad setup. Factory reset your router and set it up properly, it will save you time in the long run.

The N66U has completely different hardware/firmware to your new router. Loading it's settings will result in a sub-optimal setup. Don't waste time trying optimise a bad setup. Factory reset your router and set it up properly, it will save you time in the long run.

Odd. I have zero issues. I'm not going through all of that unnecessarily. I'll have this post reserved in the back of my head and if one day I have odd issues I'll go through the process.

I do appreciate the advice though. Thank you!