What's new

Replacing an ASUS N56U with a D-Link DIR-868L in my home network - will it work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

galapogos

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm thinking of switching fiber ISPs due to a promotion. Both offer 1Gbps connections, but there are pricing and router differences. My home network is currently as follows:

eAeXChw.png

If I switch to the new ISP, I will have to return the ASUS, but I will get the D-Link. Will the D-Link work in the same way? I read something about the DIR-868L not working in wireless bridge/AP mode. Will it affect me?

Thanks.

i suggest against dlink. Some non consumer routers have SFP and with the right module you can just plug fibre optics right into them. Instead of dlink get a different asus or netgear or some decent brand. There are many options and routers that are quite good such as pfsense that will support those speeds with no issues. It mainly depends on what you want from a router.

That just means the dlink's wireless isnt great if AP mode has issues. AP mode is the 2nd most stable for consumer router other than 4 port ethernet switch.

Your proposed setup will work (using tplink and asus) but as to whether your tp link supports gigabit speeds is another matter mainly dependent on what you need from a router.

Hi,

The existing setup already works. I get 1Gbps speed on my 2 PCs since they're on GbE. Obviously I don't get 1Gbps on Wi-Fi but that's ok. I just want to know if replacing the ASUS with the dlink will work network connectivity wise.

Hi,

The existing setup already works. I get 1Gbps speed on my 2 PCs since they're on GbE. Obviously I don't get 1Gbps on Wi-Fi but that's ok. I just want to know if replacing the ASUS with the dlink will work network connectivity wise.

It should - my bigger concern is the first hop, which might be holding you back a bit...the TL-WDR4300, it's not a bad device, it's just an old device...

Why would it be holding me back? It has GbE support, and from reviews I've read, the throughput is pretty close to 1Gbps. I use it mostly to route the connection downstream to the ASUS (which will be replaced by the D-Link) and another room with a wireless AP, and also to cover a Wi-Fi deadspot around it.

Why would it be holding me back? It has GbE support, and from reviews I've read, the throughput is pretty close to 1Gbps

It has nominal GBe support - but there's the routing performance between the WAN and LAN - that's all...

There are better choices perhaps - depends on what your WAN contract values are...

Oops, I got the TP-Link router model wrong, it's actually the TL-WR1043ND v2, which is even older. I bought it about 1.5 years ago based on this review.

I'm not looking to buy any more equipment, and I'm not using anything critical that requires a super high speed/low ping, so I just needed to know that it'll work. If there's a better way of re-allocating my existing equipment (e.g. put the new D-Link as the main router) then I'd like to know as well.

I'm curious what you mean by "nominal GBe support" though.

ofcourse it'll work, the question is how well. Do you enjoy restarting your routers every few weeks? Sure dlink and tplink are cheap but more of their models have issues compared to asus and netgear that have fewer models but they spend more effort on each of them.

For your wifi needs consider a ubiquiti indoor AC wifi. It has good coverage.

TBH, I've never had to reboot either of my routers, and they're on 24/7. I'm generally happy with their performance.