What's new

Replacing Asus RT-AC87U - To RT-AC88U or RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Louis James

Occasional Visitor
Good Afternoon:

I would kindly request some advice. I currently have the RT-AC87U with Merlin 384.13_1. I've had this router since 2015 running at full. (My office is in my home). I think the router is starting to "fade." My VOIP calls are dropping outbound packets. I am pondering either doing a factory reset on the router and reflashing 384.13_1 and/or replacing it with an RT-AC88U or RT-AX88U.

Here are my questions:

1.- Both the AC and AX have eight ports. Seems to be un-managed. I understand Merlin allows to make it a managed switch. Is that true?

2.- If anyone has any guidance on which is better - the AC88U or the AX88U.

I would be most grateful for any thoughts. Thank you for helping.

Regards

Louis

Actually I believe your 2 choices should be AC86U and AX88U :)

The AC88U is old, this one is probably soon getting EOL from Asus. I have a couple of RT-AX88U's myself and they are excellent routers especially once you have them loaded with the Merlin firmware update. Regarding the ethernet switch, it is not a fully managed switch. But you can control certain features and assign LAN ports to work as WAN port. There are limitation since it's still a consumer product.

I'm so glad you replied. I too wondered about the AC88U and will look at the AX88U. I've had such success with the RT-AC87U that moving to a different brand is just not an option. Thank you for helping.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!