What's new

Replacing Router - Will RT-AX68U Safely Use a cfg File Exported From RT-AC68U ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Seventh Monkey

Occasional Visitor
I'm replacing a RT-AC68U with a RT-AX68U. Using factory firmware on both units.sing factory firmware on both units.

Can I use the cfg file just downloaded from the old router for the new one to speed up configuration?
Any reason the AC cfg file might be an issue for the AX router?

No! there are a lot of differences!

Sounds like I will be hand jamming, then.
I do that every time I do a reset or change firmware. Safer that way and it takes me less than 15 minutes.

How much time it will take depends on how complicated your configuration is. Your router is close to default on everything.

Definitely longer than 15 minutes here. Mostly wanted to rule out human error and minimize testing. Also delays the conversion of the old router to an AI Mesh node since I will want it for reference until I'm 100% sure everything is working properly. Also means an existing mesh node will need to be re-added.

No biggie, but super busy. The old router is starting to show signs of age (needs periodic reboots) and I telecommute, so I don't want to delay and risk a work outage.

The two routers are completely different hardware and run different software on different Linux kernel. You have to setup the new router manually. Settings backup works only between same firmware version on the same hardware. Sorry.

The two routers are completely different hardware and run different software on different Linux kernel. You have to setup the new router manually. Settings backup works only between same firmware version on the same hardware. Sorry.
No worries! Glad to know for sure rather than having to waste time (or worse) fixing a false step. Thanks for the explanation.