What's new

Repurposing WD DL4100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nas_noob

New Around Here
I would like to know all available open source OSes (which can be used with WD).
I will be using DL4100 to play around - don't care about NAS capabilities to start with. I won't even mind installing normal Linux (if possible) and then configuring RAID and allowing network access.
If I'm successful I may want to do similar with EX (however I think this is bit harder due to ARM processor).

Thanks

Welcome to the forums @nas_noob.

A (very) quick search brought up nothing in these forums for what you're searching for, nor on the general web.

Is this just for learning purposes? A simple Pi may be the better path here.

Welcome to the forums @nas_noob.

A (very) quick search brought up nothing in these forums for what you're searching for, nor on the general web.

Is this just for learning purposes? A simple Pi may be the better path here.
Oh I retired WD DL4100 and moved to TrueNAS with dedicated NAS system. So I've DL4100 on my hand.
Also I didn't find much info, so checking around.

It is for learning and changing few more WD systems.

I hope someone has some useful info for you then. :)

The WD series that you're working with are really good at being plain-jane nas units--and that's all I would use them as. You can load them up with ram on the cheap and then ssds for a fast network drive or put in a large 16TB+ drive as a backup to another nas (they're great in this capacity). The hardware of the 4000 series is seriously robust and always has been so it should last a long time.

Sometimes the best repurposing is to simply let it continue working. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!