What's new

Request for ASUS Merlin firmware update for RT-AX55 router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pouya465

New Around Here
Hello, I think many RT-AX55 Router owner need Asuswrt-Merlin firmware update for this router.
why is not possible? and when this update will be release for RT-AX55?

ok thanks. I want to just know about possibility of any future or in-progress working for supporting ASUS RT-AX55. anyway, thanks for your replay.

To be blunt, the possibility of the RT-AX55 being supported by RMerlin is effectively nil.

With only 256MB of RAM, this 1.5-year-old model is crippled right from the start.

If you need an RMerlin-powered router, I suggest looking at something in the supported list instead.

About | Asuswrt-Merlin

Also, be sure to refer to the following link to make a better buying decision today.

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

To be blunt, the possibility of the RT-AX55 being supported by RMerlin is effectively nil.

With only 256MB of RAM, this 1.5-year-old model is crippled right from the start.

If you need an RMerlin-powered router, I suggest looking at something in the supported list instead.

About | Asuswrt-Merlin

Also, be sure to refer to the following link to make a better buying decision today.

What a pity! Can't make a lite firmware? AC86U and better is too high end for me and not practical.

AX55 would be the most economical model AX

What a pity! Can't make a lite firmware? AC86U and better is too high end for me and not practical.

AX55 would be the most economical model AX
So why is it so important to use Merlin?

About | Asuswrt-Merlin

Merlin runs perfectly fine with 256 megs on AC68 variants, is there some reason why that's suddenly an issue on an AX router? I'd be more suspicious about the AX55 just because Asus themselves haven't updated the firmware for quite a while now: 2021-11-03 was the last official update.

Merlin runs perfectly fine with 256 megs on AC68 variants, is there some reason why that's suddenly an issue on an AX router? I'd be more suspicious about the AX55 just because Asus themselves haven't updated the firmware for quite a while now: 2021-11-03 was the last official update.
I think it's ASUS' product strategy reason. The AX55 is the cheapest router that ASUS is currently selling, so it doesn't take this product seriously.

Other routers, while better hardware, but better and better money. Do you really need such an advanced router? It's just a route.

Hello, I think many RT-AX55 Router owner need Asuswrt-Merlin firmware update for this router.
why is not possible? and when this update will be release for RT-AX55?

Frankly, Merlin has stated that he can only handle a limited number of router models due to the effort to support each one. If you want to run Merlin, then purchase a model that supports it and use your existing router as an AI mesh node running stock code. This is a supported configuration.

Frankly, Merlin has stated that he can only handle a limited number of router models due to the effort to support each one. If you want to run Merlin, then purchase a model that supports it and use your existing router as an AI mesh node running stock code. This is a supported configuration.
I second this recommendation. See my signature.

I got the AX-55 to replace a N-66 which had been functioning as a wired AP, but for some reason the connection was failing. Rather than trudge around in tight attic spaces to replace the ethernet cable, I opted to try the AX-55 with wireless backhaul for AIMesh. So far I have been pleasantly surprised with the result.

Merlin runs perfectly fine with 256 megs on AC68 variants, is there some reason why that's suddenly an issue on an AX router?

RT-AC68U variants are the most popular Asus routers and still actively supported by Asus. Very often they get firmware updates before much newer models. They are like the gold standard platform. This new AX router is just cheap market filler. Few years from now no one will remember it existed.

RT-AC68U variants are the most popular Asus routers and still actively supported by Asus. Very often they get firmware updates before much newer models. They are like the gold standard platform. This new AX router is just cheap market filler. Few years from now no one will remember it existed.
I'll second your post, the RT-AC68U is ubiquitous and a rock solid router after all these years. In hindsight ASUS must realize they failed with planned obsolescence on this model.

I found that the RT-AX55 works fine as a basic router for single person home connectivity.
One was replacing a 10 year old tp-link router that stopped working properly. 2018 was the last BIOS release.
The other was replacing a ASUS RT-AC3200 (EOL) that was having problems.

I paid $79.99 each for them and they have been working with no problems for those two people.

I found that the RT-AX55 works fine as a basic router for single person home connectivity.
One was replacing a 10 year old tp-link router that stopped working properly. 2018 was the last BIOS release.
The other was replacing a ASUS RT-AC3200 (EOL) that was having problems.

I paid $79.99 each for them and they have been working with no problems for those two people.
Agree with this.

I used mine for a couple of weeks as my primary router while waiting for my AX-86U to arrive as it was less trouble to move it rather than my AC-86U. Had no problems with it at all and the wifi coverage seemed fine, but I was really beginning to tire of all the ads I was suddenly seeing :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!