What's new

Require Dedicated VPN Wireless Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pidgeynerd

New Around Here
Hi everyone -

I'm looking for some advice on a dedicated VPN wireless router. The attached diagram below shows where this device will fit into my topology (in red). I have a Ubiquiti Dream Machine (UDM) Pro along with a host of switches, APs, devices etc. that I can't get rid of. Unfortunately as nice as the UDM Pro is, it does not support Client VPN - such as TorGuard.

I believe I can setup a wireless router behind my UDM Pro and broadcast a dedicated VPN SSID. Only device 1 and device 2 shown in the diagram need the VPN. However, they must constantly be connected to VPN and route a fair amount of traffic consisting of regular browsing, emails and video based meetings on a daily basis. This wireless router must also support dedicated IP's from TorGuard. My internet connection is 500Mbps/125Mbps, which I think is sufficient for my network but let me know if I should increase the speed for any reason.

It's not the end of the world if device 1 and device 2 get routed out through my ISP's WAN IP, but I would prefer to reduce this as much as possible.

Is this even possible? If so, what device should I get?

Diagram.png

How much through put do you need on the two clients connected by WiFi. If the requirements are modest (less than 50 Mbps) an ASUS AC68 will handle it. If you need or want higher speeds then an AC86 with its AES-NI support will get you 150 - 200 Mbps using the VPN tunnel. Some people have reported even higher speeds but I can no longer get over 200 Mbps using my AC86.

I'm not sure that the device you posted the link to would have the processing power to both handle whatever download speed you get from your ISP and WireGurad.

I run WireGuard on VPN appliance and get 95% of my ISPs download speed (450 Mbps VPN tunnel) but the appliance has an I7 processor and 16 gigs of RAM.