What's new

Reset Netgear Nighthawk CM2050V Modem via command-line?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AppleBag

Regular Contributor
I have an idea to write something (script/app) that works entirely w/out internet connection (i.e. modem powered off, but with the router working fine; so all LAN devices can still talk to each other, there's just no WAN), and will check the modems status every X amount of time, say every 5 or 10 minutes for example:

1700366941246.png

(up or down? Probably have to login to it's page at http://192.168.100.1 and parse the text)

If it's down, send a command to it to reset; or power off and then on; whatever works.

Reason being: lately out of nowhere my brand new Nighthawk modem has been going offline and staying there (it just shows the power on and the downstream icons lit up, but the rest dark), until I get home and manually power cycle it. Often times I'm not home, and without internet at home because the modem is offline it's impossible for me to reboot it remotely. Even going to Xfinity's status page to try to send a modem reset from there tells me it can't connect, so it doesn't reset. Until I can "officially" sort out that issue I'm trying to do a simple local monitor; write a script or utility to check if it's up or down, and if down, power cycle for me.

Unfortunately, after lots of google-fu I still can't find out how I can:

- check the modem's status via LAN
- reset the modem via some sort of command I can send it

Do any of the guru's here ;) have any ideas how to accomplish this? Or better yet, something out there already existing to do this so I don't have to re-invent the wheel?

TIA!

I have an idea to write something (script/app) that works entirely w/out internet connection (i.e. modem powered off, but with the router working fine; so all LAN devices can still talk to each other, there's just no WAN), and will check the modems status every X amount of time, say every 5 or 10 minutes

Likely can't happen because of security concerns...

Is this a carrier provided modem (e.g. you rent) or one that you have purchased (you own).

This is not normal behavior, and one that is not widely reported, so the core issue here is that either

1) you have a defective modem

or...

2) you have poor connectivity on the WAN side

The best path to sort this is to unfortunately call Comcast and deal with their customer care folks... if your modem is also providing dial tone for voice services, it's on them to sort it out.