What's new

Resetting Asus RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cugel

New Around Here
I feel like a total idiot asking this question out loud, nevermind in public, but I'll ask anyway.

Is there a reliable way to reset the Asus RT-AC66U to factory defaults?

When I received the router last week I was able to connect via ethernet cable from my linux laptop, set it up as an access point with a static ip address then rebooted it. I have been unable to reconnect to the router since.

I have pressed down the reset button for more than 5 seconds per the manual and online manual (more comprehensive). What signs are there that the router is or has reset? The power led does blink slowly per the manual, but I have been unable to connect to it.

When I have the cable from my downstairs ISP provided router I can use the ethernet cable connected to the router to connect to the internet so at least the switching capabilities of the router are working. But in this mode I cannot find an IP address for the router on my main downstairs router in the list of devices on my network.

I'm no novice to router configuration and resetting routers but I am thoroughly and completely stumped on this. All and any advice would be welcome or an RMA is in my near future.

Many thanks for reading this!

Connect a computer in a LAN socket on The AC66 and go to The default page (192.168.1.1 I believe)

There are two very reliable ways to restore factory default settings:

1. In the GUI, in the Administration-->Restore/Save/UploadSetting page, click the "Restore" button for the option to "Restore Factory Defaults". This will NOT undo a firmware upgrade. It will merely clear out any settings and put you back at the factory default settings. If you want to roll back to a prior version of firmware, you need to upload it and "apply" it, and then, best practice is to once again do a "Restore Factory Defaults" and apply settings again by hand.

BTW, you can do the resetting from the GUI with a computer connected either to a LAN port on the router directly or via wireless; all you need to be able to do is insure that you can get into the GUI and then apply the "restore" button as indicated above.

2. You can reboot the router and hold in the "Reset" button for at least 20-30 seconds. That will also reset the router back to factory default settings. Again, note that it will not roll back a firmware upgrade, just resets the router so that settings are those applied to various options at the factory (and if you've upgraded and there are new features not included in the factory release, you'll need to reset those as well by hand along with all others).

Last edited:
Turn off the Router.

While holding down the WPS button, turn on the power, still holding the WPS button for about 8-10 seconds.

One of the lights will start trembling (I can't remember which) and then you can let the WPS button go.

Router access IP and username/password will be again at defaults.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!