What's new

RESOLVED (Smoked 1gb WAN port) I'm stumped--slow Modem to Router speeds RT-AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lightning strike is not covered by the warranty. Are you openly encouraging @Grievous Angel to lie to Tech Support? ;)

I ordered it March of last year...so probably out of warranty either way. And no I would not.

I can't be SURE it's related to the strike...I only checked the speed after they provisioned the new modem. I do not check it that often. For all I know it's been that way for a while and I only just noticed. We are only two people in our house and frankly 100mbps is generally more than enough.

It does seem like the most likely scenario though. Still bizzare to me that it would fail back to "fast ethernet" instead of failing all together.

Thanks again for all your help.

Looks like your WAN port is fried. One recommendation is to factory reset the router and set it up again to see if you can get the 1 GB bandwidth back to the WAN port.

I did that as part of my troubleshooting before posting here. Went back to ASUS firmware from Merlin and did a full reset. No change to the Wan port.

The one thing I was missing was simply looking at the status of the WAN port on the ASUS page which clearly said 100mbps.

Still bizzare to me that it would fail back to "fast ethernet" instead of failing all together.

Fast Ethernet uses 2 pairs and 4 wires. Gigabit uses 4 pairs and 8 wires. What usually gets damaged is an element like this:

1658623408392.png

As a result you may have no connection whatsoever or 10/100 connection, depending on what is affected by the the damage.

I would try to hit the router with hard reset though. I've seen controllers stuck as well. Sounds like you have simple configuration.

I would try to hit the router with hard reset though. I've seen controllers stuck as well. Sounds like you have simple configuration.
I'll do that and report back. Would nice to make the router "whole" again. On the upside, I can always dedicate my WAN port to an IoT device if it's forever stuck at fast ethernet.

Don't make plans. Thor is watching you.

View attachment 43015

I did a hard reset (WPS plus power button). Doesn't seem to make any difference. When I wire my Shield TV to the 1GB wan port it shows 100mbps. On any other port it registers a gig.

So I think that settles that. The 1 gig WAN port was partially toasted, and demoted to fast ethernet....permanently. So I'll definitely put my HUE bridge on that port if I need to free up a good GIG port.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!