What's new

Restarting 3G Modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shortchanged

New Around Here
Is there any way to restart a 3G modem without rebooting the router?

I'm currently using a Sierra Wireless U598 in my Asus RT-AC56R (380.69). The device works great when it works, but tends to go offline randomly. The only way I have been able to get it to reconnect is to bounce the router. I've got the router on a Sonoff switch and have Node-Red running a connectivity check every 5 minutes. If Node-Red is unable to ping a couple external IP addresses it will turn off the Sonoff and turn it back on 10 seconds later. This can, and has, caused other issues with devices losing their wireless connection and I would like to avoid it. Its been a few years of running this way. First manually cycling the power, then letting Node-Red take care of it.

I'm currently looking at configuring a Pi Zero W with UMTSKeeper but would rather avoid yet another device (plus I'm waiting for the USB to microUSB pigtail to be deliverd). Is there a command I can run from SSH to reset the modem?