What's new

Unbound Restarting Unbound

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

archiel

Very Senior Member
Hi @Martineau, how can I restart unbound from a command prompt (ssh)?

Background: When I reboot the router, unbound does not complete loading (possibly due to the way I setup the interfaces for IPv6 to work with Wireguard Manager) and so I always need to go to unbound_manager advanced to restart (rs).

What I would prefer to do is re-start unbound as part of the start process, e.g. by adding to post-mount
Code:
sleep 10s
line to restart unbound

Background: When I reboot the router, unbound does not complete loading (possibly due to the way I setup the interfaces for IPv6 to work with Wireguard Manager) and so I always need to go to unbound_manager advanced to restart (rs).

What I would prefer to do is re-start unbound as part of the start process, e.g. by adding to post-mount
Code:
sleep 10s
line to restart unbound
Restarting dnsmasq should try and correctly start unbound?
However
Code:
#============================================================================================ © 2019-2022 Martineau v3.23bE
#  Install 'unbound - Recursive,validating and caching DNS resolver' package from Entware on Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.
#
# Usage:    unbound_manager    ['help'|'-h'] | [ [debug] ['nochk'] ['advanced'] ['install'] ['recovery' | 'restart' ['reload config='[config_file] ]] ]
#                              ['vpn='{vpn_id [ delay=nnn ] | 'disable' } ] [bind | nobind] ['noreadline']
so IIRC unbound_manager restart should work?

Code:
sleep 10s
line to restart unbound
I know you already got your answer, but you could execute any meny commands using the methode described in my guide:
https://github.com/ZebMcKayhan/WireguardManager#execute-menu-commands-externally

So in your case it could be
Code:
echo -e "re\ne" | unbound_manager advanced

You could execute it manually in the shell but it will splash you all outputs as you were running the command, but you could silent it:
Code:
echo -e "re\ne" | unbound_manager advanced >/dev/null 2>&1

If you run it from some auto executed start script you wouldnt have to worry about output.

You could also navigate several menu steps down to get what you want in any meny driven cli script, I.e. YazFi, WGM, Diversion, Skynet et.c. good to know! You could also use more complex commands to filter out what you want like awk or grep. Check out wgmExpo.sh in above link for some inspiration.

Restarting dnsmasq should try and correctly start unbound?
However
Code:
#============================================================================================ © 2019-2022 Martineau v3.23bE
#  Install 'unbound - Recursive,validating and caching DNS resolver' package from Entware on Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.
#
# Usage:    unbound_manager    ['help'|'-h'] | [ [debug] ['nochk'] ['advanced'] ['install'] ['recovery' | 'restart' ['reload config='[config_file] ]] ]
#                              ['vpn='{vpn_id [ delay=nnn ] | 'disable' } ] [bind | nobind] ['noreadline']
so IIRC unbound_manager restart should work?
Worked perfectly.

Is this the right thread to ask this question?

When I reboot my router, the GUI option in Unbound always fails to be enabled. How can I make that sticky?

Last edited: