What's new

Restore/Upload Settings between Models?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

webreaper

Occasional Visitor
I'm going to migrate from an AC68U to an AC86U in the next couple of days. If I do Advanced Settings => Save Settings on the AC68U, can I then restore the settings on the AC86U? Or are the .cfg files incompatible? Wondering if that's a quick way to transfer everything to the new router.

If it makes a difference, both will be running the latest Asus-Merlin.

Even if the router lets you do this, it's not advisable to use a saved config file between different firmware versions on the same router, let alone across router models.

What are the likely problems? I mean, there's two scenarios:

1. Apply the config, and it either works, or the whole router borks and I need to factory reset it and start again
or
2. Apply the config and it seems to work but subtle problems happen that I might not notice at first but could manifest themselves in odd ways.

If it's #1, then I'd be happy to give it a go as I'm starting with a fresh router anyway, so if it fails and I have to factory-reset then it's no biggie. But if it's #2, I'll avoid it.

What are the likely problems? I mean, there's two scenarios:

1. Apply the config, and it either works, or the whole router borks and I need to factory reset it and start again
or
2. Apply the config and it seems to work but subtle problems happen that I might not notice at first but could manifest themselves in odd ways.

If it's #1, then I'd be happy to give it a go as I'm starting with a fresh router anyway, so if it fails and I have to factory-reset then it's no biggie. But if it's #2, I'll avoid it.
100% option 2. Best to start afresh