What's new

Review Request - Iomega ScreenPlay Pro HD Multimedia Drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rob W

New Around Here
Hi All,

I'd love to see a review of the Iomega ScreenPlay Pro.

A little background: I read SNB's review of the Iomega ScreenPlay last year http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30569/80/ and bought the version with the built-in 500 GB hard drive and I absolutely love it. To me, one of its best features is its ability to play ripped DVDs in video_ts folders.

After using it for six months, moving it between the living room and bedroom, it became obvious that it would be better to keep all the movies on a central hard drive and have a networked media player at each TV. In looking for something like this, I found the Popcorn Hour A-110, the TViX M-6500, and some others, but none of the big etailers seem to carry them. Then I noticed that Iomega has a new version of the ScreenPlay with a network port on it. It seems like this would do what I want, but without an SNB review, I can't be sure.

Some of the things I'd like to know about ScreenPlay Pro:
1. Does it still play video_ts folders?
2. What kind of file sharing is needed on the PC where I store my media (Windows share, NFS, SMB, etc)? And do those schemes support playing video_ts folders?
3. Can I store the media on a NAS? What features would the NAS need to make it work?
4. Can I have two of these players on my network playing two different movies simultaneously from the same network share?

That was kinda long for my first post, but I hope to convince SNB to review the ScreenPlay Pro.

Also, I'd love to see an SNB review of the Popcorn Hour A-110, the DragonTech ioBox 100HD, or the TViX M-6500. Basically, any of the so-called Network Media Tanks.

Thanks,

-Rob

Good suggestion, Rob. I'll see what we can do.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!