What's new

Review Request - UPS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fuzzyaces

New Around Here
Hey Guys,

I am not sure if you've thought of it, but doing reviews on UPS's would be a great help. It fits in nicely with what you are doing, and is a natural extension to what reviews you've already conducted.

Right now, I'm in the market for a new UPS for my windows home server and figured you'd be the group that could test them out at some point.

I think I've settled on a CyberPower 900W unit, but naturally would consider any input from anyone here.

What information would you be looking for in such a review?

Tim,

Sorry for the delayed response. But some thoughts could include:

• Software Quality (Does it interface with Fedora/WHS/Win7/etc...)
  • Charge Time Necessary
  • Backup Time Provided
  • Noise
  • Green Characteristics (Does it shut off any vampire power devices, etc...)
  • Energy Rating (Amount of surge it can protect)
  • Any Internal photos (Similar to what you do with routers)

Some of these are just simple data specs that you can get from the supplier, but in the past I've always found that in real world situations, the charge time is longer and the backup time shorter than advertised. In my situation, I have a homebuilt WHS and PC that would be running on this, and I'm trying to figure out what makes sense for a 15 or 20 minute timeframe.

Thanks for the thoughts.

To do a decent job, I'd have to invest in some new equipment and develop test procedures. Not sure if it would be worth it.

FWIW, I've always used APC UPSes and currently use the ES 750 on my main systems. I've never used the auto-shutdown sync and don't expect much run time (I don't leave my systems on when I'm not using them).

Tim,

Merely a suggestion. You have always done excellent reviews (depth and breadth) on everything else in the space. Thanks for the reply.